1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
My My. You seem to have hit the mother lode! This is what dreams are made of. My advice to you after having built 100's of Caspians is to forget it. Caspian does not build finished pistols. The parts DO NOT fit together and only the highly skilled smiths can make them run. Every part has to be fitted and the job is beyond most. I can't think of a more worthless choice than a stainless commander type. Stainless is a tool destroyer and eats files for lunch. Gary Smith says they don't gall anymore and he's probably right. I don't like them and would not own one. I would suggest you hire a high end smith to build it for you. You can take your time and buy the parts as you go. The smith will probably charge you $1500.00 or so. Caspians are $3000.00 guns and there's no way to beat that. They are the best 1911's money can buy. If I were still doing it, mine would be $5000.00

·
Registered
563 Posts
Well, well. I have lost the ability to communicate via the written word! I'll try the KISS program. I LOVE CASPIAN ARMS. I am their biggest fan and have been for nearly 18 years. I never said anything about ill-fitting parts. I said THE PARTS HAVE TO BE FITTED! I have a Caspian 38 Super out there that has 90,000 rounds thru it and feels and looks like the day it was built. I just re-barreled two Caspians I delivered 11 and 12 years ago that have had hard use over that time period. I put a Kart barrel in one and an Ed Brown Bull barrel in the other and they are both oneholers. I taught a class at the local college here 6 years ago on the art of the 1911 and we built 18 Caspians with custom serial numbers out of parts. at that time,the tuition and parts were about $1100.00. It was written up in Guns Magazine. Every gun would do 3/4" at 25 yards and we did not ruin one Part. There isn't too many people around that know more about this than me. I HATE STAINLESS STEEL IN 1911's. It has evil Mojo in it! Every other smith will tell you that I'm full of it. I can't help it. I like blue steel guns. I like to work with blue steel guns.A SS front strap will destroy a file with one use and they are $30.00 apiece now. I don't build 1911's anymore except for a few serious people whom I've worked for many years. They won't let me quit. I will take care of them 'til my last breath. I don't know how to send pictures to the forum but my demo guns are here with me and maybe I can get the wrench to shoot some pictures some day. I think he's upset with me now because I'm not too nice, but that will pass. BUILDING 1911's IS A HIGHLY SKILLED JOB! I have tried to repair my share of buchered guns and just had a Gold Cup through here a month ago that was UGLY! I had to re-do all of the guts including a bad sear,hammer and trigger. Also had to put a front sight on because Colt never learned how to keep a front sight on a Cup until the .125 tenon on the 80 series guns. I was building Caspians out of my shop[ in Aurora , Colorado when the rest of the smiths were beating rails and pinching slides trying to make good guns out of junk. They did it too, but I was way ahead of them and still am. Do me a favor and if you don't understand what I'm saying, read it again until you do!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I want to compliment you on the beautiful pictures of the 1911's built by all of you.You have so many resources for really good parts now that I'm sure I'm wrong about the skill level needed these days. Please remember I'm from a different time and place.I started doing these things for the exact same reasons you are. The work put out by the pro's didn't impress me so I started on the kitchen table as we all did. I thought I could do better and I did. God Bless you all for your trying to do your best with what you have to work with. keep it up and you will get better and better. I never apologize for being me so If I have rattled your cage, so be it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.