1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of reading here the last few days, and have been doing a lot of research. Here's my situation: I want a bullseye starter gun, so I need adjustable sights, tight and accurate, and a good trigger. I'm also on a tight budget, probably not to exceed about $700.

It looks like for that money I have a couple of options. The first is to just find a used bullseye gun and shoot it, possibly swapping in a few parts later on. Second would be a new Kimber, SA, or 1991, and add some parts to get the trigger and sights how I want. The last, (attractive to me because I'm a tinkerer and like mechanical stuff) is to build up a gun around a Caspian frame and slide.

Here're my concerns that I hope you can help me with. Will I, as a novice to the 1911, have any chance of being able to assemble a gun from components, assuming some good references (I'd probably take it to someone knowledgable to check over any critical stuff before use) and quality parts? Is the resulting gun likely to have the accuracy necessary for bullseye? How about resale value of a factory gun w/ add-ons compared to a component built gun?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions, but this site has done a great job of getting me all gung-ho about building my own 1911. Thanks in advance for any and all answers!

Patrick Sween

· Super Moderator
3,618 Posts
"Tight Budget"

Buy a Kimber with adjustable sight.

"as a novice to the 1911, will you have any chance of being able to assemble a gun from components"

No, you probably can't expect to build it right without a huge investment in tools, books, videos, and mistakes - which takes us back to tight budget - buy the Kimber with adjustable sights.

Finally, when you buy the Kimber, shoot it at the matches and get to know it before you tinker with it. If you are new to 1911s, you aren't going to know what you need before you master the weapon. By then, it should be all broken in nicely. May not need much at all to make it a good bullseye gun.

· Registered
195 Posts
BUILD IT and the X ring shall come

might be cheaper if ya buy the parts seperate, and then take it to a smith for final assembly and slickering up

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

· Registered
244 Posts
My 2 cents. Go to http://www.bullseyepistol.com and click on "Don't Compromise on Your Equipment"

Try to find a used M1911 bullseye ready. I found a used C.T.Brian bullseye pistol for $800. The original accurizing job cost $1495. So I think I got a good deal. It Ransom Rested (with some ammo a guy gave me) at 10 ring groups at 50 yards.

Get the word out that you're looking for a used pistol. That's what I did and a friend found this one in just a month.

[This message has been edited by Baer1911 (edited 06-13-2001).]

· Registered
1,722 Posts
IMHO, no one can build a bullseye quality gun, purchasing frame, slide and parts at full retail and come out under $700.

If you come out under $700, you either have cheap, poorly made parts or you have special dealer pricing or found a great deal on used parts somewhere, where the original purchaser paid much more than you did.

I just built a 1911 with a Caspian frame and GoldCup top end. My total price including tools, shipping, FFL fees and everything was around $750, and MAN did I do this cheap! But, I got a great deal on the complete top end -- slide, barrel, sights included, bushing, firing pin, sping & stop. etc. etc.. If I had tried to buy all of these parts separately, my total project would have been closer to $1000 easily. I did not skimp on parts inside, and little things like hammer struts, ejectors, pins, etc. all add up pretty dang fast!

[added] I also received dealer pricing on the frame and some parts. Since the top end was already finished and I went with and all stainless lower, I didn't have any refinishing costs, which would have added another $100 to the total at least.

If you've never shot bullseye, buy a new Kimber and go shoot. Have fun!
Later, when you find that the gun is holding you back, then you can start the customizing or the project to build the perfect gun for you.

Just my .02

------------------
Byron Simpson

[This message has been edited by GrandmasterB (edited 06-13-2001).]

· Registered
23 Posts
So GrandmasterB, for what you just said, I take that it is better to dress up my current Springfield 1911, than to build a new 1911 on a Essex frame/slide kit. I am debating if either build or buy or improve my Springfield 1911

Carlos

[This message has been edited by carlosg (edited 06-14-2001).]

· Registered
5 Posts
devilish laugh as buk says:
yup, but if you buy/build instead of improve, then ya got two....

Originally posted by carlosg:
So GrandmasterB, for what you just said, I take that it is better to dress up my current Springfield 1911, than to build a new 1911 on a Essex frame/slide kit. I am debating if either build or buy or improve my Springfield 1911

Carlos

[This message has been edited by carlosg (edited 06-14-2001).]

· Registered
244 Posts
To be successful in Bullseye pistol competion you need a pistol / ammo combination that can shoot 10 ring groups at 50 yards. That's only 3 1/2 inches! Now I'm not talking success as in making master in a year, I'm talking success in bettering your scores slowly but surely every match. This builds confidence. And confidence is very important in that game.

Take your average, out of the box M1911 Government model pistol. It will probably shoot six to eight inch groups at 50 yards. Couple that with the six to eight inch "wobble zone" that many beginners have and you'll be lucky to hit paper at 50 yards, let alone the 10 ring.

But put a two inch bullseye pistol in the hands of that beginner, and you will see his/her confidence build every match that they shoot.

Also with that factory pistol, you will never be able to tell when you have reached the point that you are better then the pistol. That destroys confidence.

If a pistol can not hold the 10 ring, (3 1/2 inch groups) from a Ransom Rest at 50 yards, it's not good enough for bullseye. I don't care if you're a marksman or a high master.

The above rant is by someone that's "been there, done that". In other words, I have made the stupid mistake of thinking that a factory pistol would be good enough for entry level competition. I picked up bad habits and almost totally ruined confidence in myself. I have since re-grouped with accurate pistols, but I believe I have set myself back and now I am struggling to start anew.

I'll get there someday, but by not starting with the proper equipment, I lost almost two years of valuable experience. Now, finally, my scores are improving with each match. It's a good feeling to beat your personal best score almost every match.

If at all possible, find a good used bullseye ready 1911. Ransom Rest it at 50 yards. If it holds the 10 ring, buy it. There are $800 to $1000 very accurate, used pistols out there, keep looking. You will be glad you did.

------------------
Bullseye Rules!

· Registered
46 Posts
Another option is to look into olympic's 1911 boutique brand. I have a safari arms matchmaster that sells for $719 that is amazing. I haven't ransom rested it, but I easily get groups half the size with my matchmaster as with my kimber or my hk tactical.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.