1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I have a Kimber BP pro ten II, you know the polymer one. I wondering if it is possible to buy a striped frame for a 4 inch barrel 1911 and pull the parts off of my polymer frame and build a traditional single stack 1911. Will this work? If so which frame should I buy that fits best with kimber pro carry slides.

These are my reason for looking into this.

1. Economically its more sound to buy a frame rather than a whole new pistol

2. A single stack 1911 has more options over my polymer one i.e. Grips, Crimson trace, magazines are cheaper and more plentyful.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Hey I got one of those too. I thought I was the only one buy one of those. I hate the grip texture, way too slick for me. I just can't bring myself to take a woodburning tool to retexture the grip frame. AS far as the slide fit on a single stack frame I don't see why it would. All the difference is in the frame the slides should be the same, I think. I'll try putting the KImber slide on my S/A Champion frame and see. I'll get back to you in a few minutes.

Ok here's the deal... My Kimber BP Ten II Pro Carry slide would NOT go on the S/A frame, the S/A ejector is taller and offset so they don't fit together. However if you were to use a Kimber Series II frame I think it would work. Trying to use any other frame most likely wouldn't work because of the Swartz FPS components. Of course you could remove them from your slide then it should work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input do you know if kimber sell frames only. As far as i can tell no from the website.

Also what is Schwarts FPS equipment?

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
No I don't think they do. The Swartz safety is a firing pin safety(FPS) that is activated by depressing your grip safety(GS). There is a lever that rests on the GS that when the GS is depressed pushes up on a spring loaded plunger that releases the firing pin(FP) so it may move forward and strike the primer. It's the reason they say not to depress the grip safety when reassembling the slide to the frame. If you depress the GS the lever moves up and blocks the slide from completely going onto the frame. You don't want to damage the lever as it will then not work correctly and release the FP.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am not familiar with the Kimber plastic frame pistols, but I will chip in what I think. I once thought about converting a Para P14 from .45 to .40. I thought I could save money by reusing the frame and it's internals. After adding up the cost I changed my mind. Your better off selling the old one and buying one that is already the way you like it. If there is one thing that I have learned with 1911's, very few parts fit well from one gun to another. You are going to be getting your self into some fitting work one way or another. Before all is said and done, you will need a gunsmith to do some part of the conversion. Something else to think about, is the value of your pistol just dropped by putting a Kimber slide on an aftermarket frame.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Foster Industries has 3 different style frames for less than $200. They are all government model full size but cutting one to match your 4" slide is not much work. Fusion also has a variety of frames. Give them a call to find which would work best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts