1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some links for parts. Specifically I'm looking took get a frame and slide to start. First shot at this I plan on going CHEAP, get the hang of it and build a NICE one later. Any experiences, links, ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
877 Posts
For parts, I like Brownell's. They carry a large selection. You can also go direct to a specific manf that you know you want a part from. But really after shipping and having several parts from various retailers, it's easier and sometimes a little cheaper to order everything from a main source.

I also recommend you really don't go too cheap. It adds severe headache, work and money when you try to fix it after the fact.

· Registered
191 Posts
Parts

Stick with quality parts. The extra time spent with trying to make "inexpensive" parts fit may turn you off your project. Some are so bad you'll end up tossing them and getting the good ones. Save yourself some agravation and money on shipping.
Quality parts are always the anser.

Good Luck

· Registered
886 Posts
I had the same thought on my first build - I wasn't sure how the gun would turn out - in the back of my mind I thought I might wind up with a paper weight or worse, a crawdad trap weight.

I bought an Essex frame and the slide was on special for $70. These were cheap but the quality is fine for a home-built gun.

The barrel was a Kart EZ fit - not cheap but less expensive than others.

Chip McCormick (CMC) makes pretty good parts for a lot less than other makers - yeah, they're MIM but they work. I used his thumb safety, hammer, disconnector, sear and slide stop.

I don't see why you shouldn't try your first build with the lesser priced parts. Brownells has everything for a 1911 but there are some sources that are less expensive - CMC and Natchez come to mind. Info from this site indicates Masden parts may not be desireable.

Oh yeah, my Essex turned out very well - bullseye accuracy and very reliable.

My second build used a Caspian frame and I went to mostly high end parts like SVI and Wilson and some titanium bits - this was for a Marvel 22 conversion -

· Banned
1,472 Posts
I don't see why you shouldn't try your first build with the lesser priced parts.
Because as long as everything drops together, great, but as soon as something goes wrong, a first time builder won't be able to tell if it's his work or the part.

And a first time builder won't be able to recognize a part that is wrong before installation, when they can still be returned.

Better to go with parts with a reputation for quality, PARTICULARLY on the first build, and save the "challenges" for when you have enough experience to make them work.

· Registered
278 Posts
Well as usual good advice from all. Thing with building your own is experience or skill level. Some guys can pick through the less expensive parts and fix things up and some get stumped, just one of the fun things of building your own.

I built a Commander on Caspain parts. It don't look pretty but it does run good. I started with less expensive parts that were "Milspec" and real cheap both price and quality. I got the gun running and then ended up replacing all the parts with better quaility parts from Browns, EGW, STI, and Wolf Springs.

You'll find when you price everything you need out you will be over the price of a brand new Mil Spec Springfield. Hell you may be able to buy a new Kimber for what you pay in quailty parts! Some say get a Milspec or a Kimber as a base gun and build from there. You have all your springs and pins and screws that you have to buy anyway. Just a thought.

Also don't over look the parts by Caspain, they sell most of what you need and they are very good parts. Also Gary Smith the owner has great customer service and advice too. I have not seen a Caspain catalog in a while but I think you can get everything but a barrel from them.

The thing I found out with quality parts is that the parts that are supposed to be straight or round or square or have holes those things are the way they should be, the holes are straight and where they are supposed to be. Not the case with some of the really cheap stuff. If you try and fit a thumb safety and it and the sear are lop sided you can end up wrecking those parts trying to ge them to fit. Good parts will be straight and less fitting will need to be done and you can concentrate on doing it the right way. Building is a test in patience anyway no sense making yourself crazy on top. Other than the fact that when you get it together and it runs you'll go crazy because you'll want to do another and another! :)

Guns are machines take a bunch of parts and throw them together and it takes a lot more work to figure out what is out of whack than if you know what your starting with.

Building your own is fun, and very rewarding and there is a great resource right here with plenty of people who will offer help. Like others have said here before me you get what you pay for. When you get a list up post it here and guys will make suggestions.

Good luck.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.