1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so say I wanna buy a frame and do a build-up from there. With the stupid CA laws regarding handguns, does that mean I buy an allowed gun and strip it and go from there? Or are there frames I can buy and put together my own?

If I can't buy a frame, and given that I want something in the end I can be proud of (and not to denigrate any manufacturer), what would ya'all suggest? I want something in the end that is on a par with a Baer (my only real experience with higher end 1911's), so do I have to start with a Baer and essentially duplicate work? This would make no sense to me. I've seen others start with a RI and build it from there. Again, meaning no disrespect, I don't think that I can end up with what I want starting from there.

So, what do ya'all suggest? Or am I just pissing up a rope? One last thing, please. Don't suggest I move from CA. I mean, really. That's in no way helpful or reasonable - even if I could. Would you really move from all you've known and have to another state purely for guns? Really? I don't want to start a thread based on this, so it's just my request. I'm really much more interested in constructive suggestions on building a 1911.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I see 25 have looked... but no answers? Anyone? Bueller?

·
Registered
744 Posts
From what I've heard and read, no frames can be sold in CA, only complete guns so that they can be demonstrated to pass the 'drop test.' Therefore, whatever end you have in mind must start with a complete gun.

As to ending up with
something in the end that is on a par with a Baer
I think that has to do with craftsmanship and quality parts. So, start with a quality forged frame like a Spingfield MilSpec and go from there as far as your wallet, skill and imagination will allow.
/Bryan

·
Registered
369 Posts
Your'e right about the availability of frames in California. Gunstores can only sell complete guns that are submitted for testing to the CA DOJ.

You can still buy a frame, but it has to be from a private party. I bought a new Caspian frame during the summer from a guy that just moved into the state. We made a private party transfer at a local gunstore. I paid about 100 bucks more than retail, but it was still about $200 cheaper than a Springfield Milspec.

Randy
NRA Life Member

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
BigAlFromCal said:
OK, so say I wanna [build] something in the end that is on a par with a Baer (my only real experience with higher end 1911's), so do I have to start with a Baer and essentially duplicate work? This would make no sense to me.
Me neither. To go through all the pain, suffering, blood, sweat and tears to do what maybe 10 guys in the US are equipped to do and maybe fewer technically able to...why bother? You could probably do it beginning with a few years' experience, a nice used BridgePort (with a nice three axis DRO, of course), 10 to 15K in parts and a lot of patience...but why bother? "Get thee to a gun vendor and acquire thee the Holy Baer, my son." Otherwise, get ya a nice Caspian or Baer matched slide and frame and build you somethin' for fun. (I do this, continuously bashing my head against the wall...just to have a "lookie what I built!" for the range dudes to look at. Nothing I've built is up to Baer standards yet, but heck...I've only built 50 or so. Wait 'till I've got another 50 and we'll talk!

Bon Chance, anyways though.:)

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
Oh yeah....Why isn't this in the Les Baer section??

Why not?

I would think Baerophiles would be the ones to really ask about this one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Stillwater, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I never said I WOULD end up with something as good as a Baer. Rather, I should have said I wanted the parts to be as good as a Baer. Also, I mentioned (and noted why) Baer only because it was my only experience with non-production line guns. If I had put this in the Baer forum, I would have been tarred and feathered long before this point due to my assumption I would come up with something that, as you pointed out, takes an expert and years of experience to do.
Your post did give me pause for thought, though. A mechanic with little experience, using Ferrari parts, will not necessarily come up with a Ferrari. And me, building a 1911 myself, will not build a Baer using off the shelve parts (unless of course all I was doing was assembling a broken down Baer!).
One of the reasons for my post and my questions was that, in California, we are so limited in what we can buy that I was hoping to do something a little different. I think, instead, perhaps I'll buy a decent gun to start and work with a 'smith to build it up to something like I was thinking.
So I 'spose yer saying I can't paint a Picasso my first time out, either, huh? ;-)

·
Registered
744 Posts
So I 'spose yer saying I can't paint a Picasso my first time out, either, huh? ;-)
Actually, I'm certain my cat could paint a Picasso, or a Dali for that matter, on the first pass.

Now, a Rembrandt, like a quality 1911, might be a couple of years apprenticeship and then 40 - 50 practice guns!

/Bryan

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
The hardest part of what you are looking to do will be finding a frame. As you've said state law prohibits us from just buying one through the mail.
But they are out there. Occasionally they turn up at gun shows where private individuals are selling them. Start asking around at the range, local gun stores, etc. Become known as "The guy who's looking for a frame". One will turn up though it may take time.

The next option is buying a used gun with a good frame and proceeding from there. Here you have a lot of options.

Parts, slides, barrels, etc. can be ordered from many outlets.

tipoc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.