1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks!

I'm building a new gun (1911, of course) on a Springfield frame and slide I've had lying around for a while. Actually, a reputable smith will so the work. I'm replacing all the parts, except the frame and slide, of course. I've got to make a few decisions regarding the parts I'm going to use, and wanted to get some input.

Grip safety: I'm thinking an EB Memory Groove? What do you all think?

Manual safety: I like the "Colt" style, as I find that an extended safety can give me holster problems. I've heard of "trimming" and EB safety. What's this all about? Anyone know of a good aftermarket safety that's like a Colt (ie: not extended) or should I just get a colt.

Hammer & Sear: I was going to go with an EB Match Grade hammer and sear? What about a new disconnector?

Sights are going to be Novaks. No arguing here.

Extractor is EB hardcore?

Firing pin is EB hardcore and FP stop is EB?

Slide stop is EB?

Barrel is a Kart with an EB bushing?

Mainspring housing is Les Baer?

Trigger is Videki (I ordered a few before they closed down. Hahahaha)

Springs are all Wolff

Any comments, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks for your input.........

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
EB is a good choice. Everything sounds good, only I'd use a Briley bushing if you don't mind the extra expense. It's not much, but that is one heck of a bushing for the money. I've installed some of them in pistols that went 50,000 plus rounds and when the bushing gets loose (and they all do), I just replace the inside ring and away they go. And, there is NO barrel spring.
Of course, I don't know what you intend to use this piece for, and if you don't shoot all that much, any bushing will do quite well if it's properly fit.

·
Registered
563 Posts
You are right on with your parts selection.I would think you would use Fred's E-Z fit barrel as it comes with a bushing. I will never understand spending this kind of money on a Brazilian slide and receiver, but that's just what it's like to be me.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Unless you intend to weld up the rear tangs of the frame I would not use an Ed Brown beavertail grip safety.The profile of the tangs are not the same as a Colt and you will have ugly gap .I would use a Wilson or if I was desperate a Smith&Alexander with the .220 radius. OCG1911

·
Registered
563 Posts
OCG1911 is right,but I think your smith would correct your parts list as he would know this. I like the S/A beavertail safetys in Springfields. I do not like the specs on the guns. They vary alot.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Springfield's can be had with good tolerances it is just that some of there finishing details leave alot to be desired.The profile of the dustcover and front strap are IMO awful, and the internal machinig is usually rough.This would include the trigger tract ,the magwell the center rail on the bottom of the slide usually all have heavy milling marks.

They do promise good value but like anything else there is no free lunch you get what you pay for . OCG1911

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This frame is actually one of the older Springfields, before they started making the dust cover and front strap the way they do today. And, I believe it was made in the US, but I'll check on that (just out of curiosity).

I'm concerned about the fit of this EB grip safety, however. My smith said nothing about that. I'll give him a call and see what he says.

·
Registered
563 Posts
SA made a " Gun smith" lower end years ago that was a platform for many a race gun. The parts were made in South America and assembled here. The SA people were so poor at this kind of work that they went under. When they came back to life, they had the guns completed down south and and shipped here complete and ready to shoot, maybe. I did a couple and decided that they weren't worth wasting my time on.It's hard enough to build 1911's out of the best stuff available.I'm sure that your smith can turn this into a very expensive wonderful gun. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave:

I appreciate your input. My smith said he doesn't have a problem with SAs. He further stated that he's built a lot of good guns on SA frames/slides. I asked him about Colt and Kimber, and he said those are fine, too. I asked him whether I should start with a new Colt or Kimber as a base gun, and told him I had this old SA slide/frame in my safe that I wasn't doing anything with. He felt he could do a fine job with the SA. This gun is intended for law enforcement duty use, and not as a race gun. We'll see how it turns out.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Ontarget
Take the advice of these guys unless you want a frame to beavertail fit like the link below. Use a Wilson for a Springfield. Its the safest call in my opinion. Not all Springfields are this bad but many are. This is the way the last one I attempted to fit up went. I ended up fitting a Wilson to it and it looked great. I can post a pic of that also if you like.
Chris WWW.blindhogg.com/pics/bt12.jpg
You can find more info about this install at my website

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ontarget: Please understand that I know many of the forum members don't agree with me and I also know that alot of smiths love SA's to work on. It gives them a real challenge and I agree that they can turn them into nice 1911's. As for a duty weapon, I was a Captain on a Sheriff's department in Southern Colorado, a city cop, and Chief of Security for several well know places in Colorado. On my last job as a private patrol officer working alone in a car with no backup ever, I carried a 1927 Argentine Colt named Evita.I knew if I got in a fight, I would lose her so I decided to give them the cheapest gun I could find, but still keep me out of trouble. Please disregard my distaste for the way SA's made and have fun with your project.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts