1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently I have become interested in building my own 1911, first can I do this with no gunsmithing experience? and if so what is a good resource for instruction on how to do it? Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I'd suggest you get Kuhnhusen's book (The 1911, a Shop Manual) from Brownells and then see if one of your friends has done any 1911 work.

Bob

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what your saying is I should be able to do the work, but it would be nice to have help from someone experienced right?
Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent! Not only will I get the satisfaction of building my own 1911 but if I buy a gun a part at a time the wife will never know.:D Thanks Mr. Brown, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Building your own is a fun project, but it is somewhat addicting! I have done nine. and with each one I can see my skills and knowledge grow.

The Kunhausen books are must have, and Hallock's .45 Auto handbook (from Brownells) is excellent as well, although not as in depth.

Dare Gun Room
115 Paradise Point Road
Grafton, VA 23692

This company sells a couple booklets for $2-3.00 each called Assembly and fitting of a 1911A1 style Semi-Automatic Pistol
and 45 Glitches & Their Cures that are very helpful as well.

Good luck with the project, and take advantage of the immense knowledge on this forum!

Byrd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts