1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am researching who I would like to build my 1911. I know I want a 2011 in 9mm. I'm leaning towards 5 inch barrel. What I would like to do is find some top notch pistol smith. Then narrow it down to who I want to work with. I know in the rifle worlds names like GAP and SAC but what are some names of 1911 pistol smiths. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Lou at Business End Customs just finished my Delta, he does amazing work and the service is top notch.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
There are several expert, professional smiths on this forum that can build what you want. Interview several, make your choice after deciding (as close as possible) what you want.
You'll get several recommendations most will be good. Having said that, I have a Colt Govt. build by Lou (BEC) that is superb.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I don't think I want an edge being it has a bull barrel. I want an STI frame and potentially a Caspian slide with some other bells and whistles. Would love it to eat anything and run like a dream.

·
Registered
21,856 Posts
I HAVE an STI frame with a Caspian slide to the Eagle configuration. I call it the Buzzard.
It is insanely finicky as to ammo.
Maybe the Major Big Name Gunsmith you pick can do better than my local guy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Jim that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. My buddy has a buzzard from a box. He changed more things on that gun and it's still a pain. I just want a pig that eats almost anthing and is an extension of my arm like my SAC rifle. My head is spinning lol.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would pick from a member of this forum. Look at their work. I wouldn't waste their time kicking tires. You can see what you want. You can also research their reputations. The only deal breakers would be the parts you request. I would not request many except maybe BTGS radius and sights and exterior options. They know what they like for a reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would pick from a member of this forum. Look at their work. I wouldn't waste their time kicking tires. You can see what you want. You can also research their reputations. The only deal breakers would be the parts you request. I would not request many except maybe BTGS radius and sights and exterior options. They know what they like for a reason.

Again totally agree. They know what works. The research is mainly rep and some small must haves.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The only question I see with most of the great builders on here, how many are currently building 2011 competition guns?

OP, you may want to check out Akai custom in Florida.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Just because a builder is a member of this forum doesn't make them the best in the business ...

and considering the rules of the forum do not allow gripes to be aired on the forum ...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Another thing to consider is the amount of time you're willing to wait. A lot of the more well known smiths have waits exceeding 4 years. Just something to keep in mind. Many also won't give a time frame other than "at least xx years." This definitely factors into most peoples plans.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'll build you a kick-ass 80% with genuine SARCO parts. Ask anyone here; my skill with a hammer, drill press, and Harbor Freight files is second to none.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts