1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have very limited knowledge of bolt actions and need some help. I want to build a rifle for around $1000 not including optics on a Rem 700 action in .308 Here are my questions. Thanks in advance.

1. What's the cheapest way to go about this? Ie: buy action only (can I do this?) and send to someone? Who to?

2. Is the McMillan M40A1 stock a drop in?

3. What options on precision rifles are must haves? Which are "would be nice" and which are "only for high end" shooters?

4. What is considered acceptable accuracy for a sniper/long range grade rifle? 1/2 MOA?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
If I were going to spend around $1000 and wanted an a Remington actioned .308, I would just muster $200 more and get a Remington Model 7 Custom KS. It weighs under six pounds - and I'd bet that McMillan supplies the stock. Such a rifle (it is put together by the Remington custom shop) is going to be accurate enough for just about anything. If you want to go hunting, it should be a joy to pack around, even with the addition of a nice Leupold or Burris scope plus mounts.

Unless you are planning on shooting more than a few shots at a time, like in competitions, a heavy barrel is more weight than it's worth. I think bull-barreled "sniper rifles" are really over rated. And if it is a hunting/SHTF gun you have in mind, I think the quality lightweights are the way to go.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/custom/7KS.htm

[This message has been edited by LAK (edited 10-18-2001).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you're not too picky or adament about the Remington action, you can get a Savage Tactical Rifle AND optics for around 1,000.00 I think. I don't have one, but have a couple of buddies that do and they love them. One is a 308, the other a .223. The first thing they did after getting them was get an aftermarket trigger though. Both of their's shoots 1/2 MOA or better. Of course, they spent alot of time at the range finding the right loads for that. The 308 likes Remington Corelokt. That's right, the cheap stuff! The 223 likes Federal. In fact, on crappy days I've never seen any group bigger than 3/4 of an inch.

------------------
God Bless America!!

Danny
NRA, NAHC, Buckmasters

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I once built a rifle that shot under 1/2 MOA. I did a lot of the work myself and had the good fortune to have a fine gunsmith nearby for the stuff I couldn't do.

Mauser 98 action (but any good action would do, I imagine)
Douglas Supreme barrel, free-floated
Canjar trigger
Fajen stock which I inletted and then glass bedded (the action only)

I finished the stock a little large. It gave the gun some weight and stability, sort of like the mount of a coastal gun, without putting the mass in the barrel, where I didn't want it.

That was some years ago. There may be some changes in what is really good in barrels and triggers and such, but that was one sweet-shooting rifle, and I worked up fast-stepping loads in two bullet weights - one would shoot just under 1/2 MOA and the other just over (9/16", to be exact).

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

[This message has been edited by jpwright (edited 10-29-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts