1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got a coffee can full of quality parts, a new Colt series 70 repro, and a desire for a long-term project. Rather than scraping together a couple of grand and sending everything off for a few years, I thought of working a gun up in phases along the lines of:

0) playing with gun as is

1) Send slide off for sight installation.
1.5) upgrade springs and ignition parts myself

2) Send gun off for safety and extractor (if necessary) upgrades
2.5) address other parts (fp stop, ms housing, etc) as necessary at this time

3*) Send gun off for aesthetics and accuracy tuning...frame mods, refinish
3.5) at this point, a match barrel and tightening slide/frame fit may be a consideration
*Optional

While I am looking for a more hands-on experience, there are still quite a few parts I know I have no business attempting to fit/install.

I understand how all the parts interface and I get how changing one part can affect another, and another... the idea is to have it thought out so later work won't require earlier work to be re-addressed. Ultimately, the idea here is to keep the intricate, gunsmithing work separated into a couple small jobs rather than one huge custom build.

Does this make sense, or is my thinking on this completely off the rails?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
You have a general idea. Now make it plan and implement it.

I would look at the options that you want for sights. That may be the main thing missing from your idea.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have a general idea. Now make it plan and implement it.

I would look at the options that you want for sights. That may be the main thing missing from your idea.
Easy...Heinie cause:
A) I have at least one full set on hand from a build that never happened
B) They're not far from me and their turn-around has been superb.

That's phase 1 of the plan...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts