1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I think I'm going to get a Springfield Mil-spec for my first handgun. I don't think it's worth it to get a Para or some DA/SA just so I can pay $100 for high capacity magazines. Moreover, I like the prospect of being able to "build-up" this gun, and after I shoot it for awhile, it is what I intend to do.

I have some questions as to parts, components in order to make this gun flawless when I send it out to a custom shop. I'd also like some more people that do custom work.

1. Barrel: Bar-sto seems the best. What barrel model specifically for a defensive gun though? What's the difference between a "Marine Corps Cut" and "5" Barrel with internal feed ramp" barrels? I want a feed ramp off the barrel right? What is the most reliable?

2. Extractor and springs: It sounds like everyone needs to put Wolff springs in. What exactly does "tuning" and "polishing" the extractor mean? Should the extractor spring be upgraded?

3. The ejection port: Should I have it lowered and flared more than on the standard Mil-Spec?

4. Bushing: What bushing to get? Ed Brown? Does Bar-Sto offer them?

Thanks to all you guys for helping me thus far.

themao

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
...First...decide what you want this pistol to do. In other words, what will be the ultimate purpose for it? You may be totally surprised with the pistol the way it is. You don't need a "ramped" barrel in a 45ACP...I wouldn't change it unless it just sucks. If you do decide to replace it, Bar-Sto is fine and you want it "hard-fit"...

You will want to send it off to one of the many good smiths that hang around here or that you do some research on and find that you like their style and are compatible for you to work with. They will offer you the options as they see them and you'll go from there...Take your time and hang aound some of the sites and check out all the smiths sites as well...Most of all...have fun with your new weapon and be safe...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want this for a defensive weapon (home defense) and for general purpose practice, target shooting. This won't be a presentation gun. This will be for heavy use. I would want to take it to Thunder Ranch when I get the chance, or some place similar.

themao

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I wouldn't sink all kind of cash into ramped barrels and such. If the pistol works like a Swiss watch, why bother?

I remember reading (somewhere on this forum) that someone was bragging to Clint Smith about all of the exotic modifications he did on his 1911. Clint Smith's only comment was "Does it run?"

I think that says it all. If the piece is totally reliable, acceptably accurate, and does what you demand of it....why change it? Better sights or a longer/shorter trigger or a NM bushing might be desirable. So might a Bulletproof extractor. But to modify a perfectly good gun just for the sake of turning a wrench is something you need to think about in advance.

Just my two cents, which is worth fractionally less than two cents.

Callahan

·
Registered
402 Posts
theamo,

Having just bought my first handgun I can appreciate your enthusiasm. Be aware that costs, mostly ammunition, catch up pretty quick. In my opinion the most important thing for a defense gun is that it shoots, and that the user shoots it well. That said I'd go shoot the heck out of it and as your reward for all that practice/fun customize your pistol as the parts wear out.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well from Springfield's track record, I was worried that I would have to replace some parts to make the gun "run". I'll buy the gun first, shoot it a bunch, then go from there. I'd still like to know about the things I listed above though.

Thanks,

themao

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Originally posted by themao:
I'd still like to know about the things I listed above though.
Well, hopefully you will think these things thru and test fire the HECK out of the gun before you jump into any (or all) of these mods. That said, let's examine your above questions.....

I don't know much about the Bar-Sto barrel other than it is the ONLY one that Cylider and Slide will install (unless you beg). They did some pressure and hardness tests on all of the "name" barrels and found that Bar-Sto was heads/shoulders above the rest. But I don't have any firsthand knowledge so I'll move on.

Regarding the extractor. I always replace factory extractors in my 1911s regardless of manufacturer. I trust Wilson's Bulletproof and NONE other (although I've heard good things about the Brown). Besides, Wilson says he'll replace ANY bulletproof part EVEN IF IT WEARS OUT. How awesome is that? Made of tool steel. Great stuff. This is a modification that I truly recommend.

The ejection port is already lowered/flared on the SA Mil-spec. It's a nice feature and has been taken care of by the factory.

A match-style bushing may be desired depending upon the accuracy of the gun when you try it out. If it is accurate from the factory I wouldn't worry with it. Remember, the tighter the fit the less tolerance you'll have for gunk, dirt and other combat conditions. If this is going to be a carry gun, you may be wise to stick with the "tactical" fit. Reliability comes before accuracy sometimes. CCW is one of those times.

Hope this helps.

Callahan

[This message has been edited by Inspector Harry Callahan (edited 10-04-2001).]

·
Banned
994 Posts
1. Barrel: Bar-sto seems the best. What barrel model specifically for a defensive gun though? What's the difference between a "Marine Corps Cut" and "5" Barrel with internal feed ramp" barrels? I want a feed ramp off the barrel right? What is the most reliable?
Bar-sto "Marine Corps Cut" 1911 barrel.

Does anybody have a link to this barrel on Bar-Sto's website? Damn if I can find it. I need to order one ASAP.

Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Definately shoot it first, I think I'll leave mine as is. It is a reliable accurate gun as is. I also have a Kimber Pro CDP and a Les Baer Premier II, and this Mil Spec shoots right with 'em. Not as nice in the fit and finish department or as slick a trigger, and It took a trip back to customer service to get there, but dang I like this .45, its a perfect rough use gun for me.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I've bought two new-to-me (slightly used) SA Mil-Spec's in the past week. This afternoon I ran 500 rounds through them without a hiccup. I can't figure why a person would want to swap out the barrel if its strictly going to be a defensive gun. Both of mine are for future build projects but the barrels will be staying, they are fine.

Line up some paper plates at 7 yards and see how you do. And, make sure any inadequacy you find is of known cause: is it the gun, or is it you.?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
This is your first handgun and specifically your first 1911. You'll go broke adding all the whistles and bells you read about in the gun rags, not to memtion what people on here will tell you you "have to have" From your want list and you don't even really know if you want all of it,you're looking at about as much money in this gun as one that's already tricked out.

As far as barrels, the one that comes with the gun is going to shoot better than you do. Same with the bushing. Why replace either? As far as a ramped barrel, there's been no documented evidence that a ramped barrel is more reliable than the other type. The purpose of a ramped barrel is to provide chamber support for high pressure rounds. .45ACP isn't one of those. STI and Para use them because that's been their design from the beginning. If you switch over, you'll have to have the frame recut for the ramped barrel, something that should be done by an experienced smith, AKA $$$. Brand of barrel, everybody has their opinion, but few people shoot better than the stock barrel that came with the gun. STI uses Schuemann. Everybody has their favorite. Save your money for practice ammo. You'll get a lot more benefit from that than you will tricking out an entry level gun. Upgrades are OK, but unless you're able to do it yourself,you're going to spend a lot of $$$..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts