1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every clone company offers guns and frames that are true 1911A1 style. I am curious about how difficult it would be and how much it would cost to machine a frame (like a SA or Caspian)to accept the series 80 safety mechanism. Any thoughts? I know the slide is also different, but it can be purchased as a part from Colt. I know it would probably be cheaper and easier to just buy a Colt, but I am curious about the intricacy of making the modification.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Ed said:
...I know it would probably be cheaper and easier to just buy a Colt, but I am curious about the intricacy of making the modification.
The difference between the Series 70 and the Series 80 frame is basically the cut next to the sear and hammer slot for the Series 80 levers. You answered your own question - buy a Series 80 frame if that's what you want.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave, but one quick follow up if I may. Is that alteration one simple cut, or is it more complex. In othe words would a gunsmith charge an arm and a leg to make it, or would they just chuckle and do it $20.00 or some relatively low price. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts