1911Forum banner

Bul Commander

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  JDraz 
#1 ·
I was looking at the all stainless Bul commander but if I bought it I wanted to convert it to super because I did not want to go buy 9 ammo. But, this weekend I found over a thousand 9mm factory loads and several hundred primed cases in my garage so I figured the brass (I have plenty of coated bullets for my supers) I could reload and use up the factory ammo until I got the super barrel for it.

So, today I bought the Bul and went straight to the range... and they were closed for renovations under new ownership. Grrr...

So without being able to shoot it, here are my thoughts.

Static fit, finish and function:

It makes all 1911's I have (and have had) but my Dan Wesson, Springfield, and Fusion look and feel like they were made in some third world country.

I'm generally don't care much about trigger feel because I spank the trigger when training but this one is the best I've had out of the box.

It has fore and aft cocking serrations, medium front strap stippling, beaver tail swell, skeletonized aluminum trigger, and oddly a black extended safety, hammer and mag release. I say odd because the slide stop, trigger, beaver tail mainspring housing and grip screws are silver tone or stainless. Some new hybrid color scheme? :) Anyway, the slide stop is pre-cut to prevent frame scratching and inserts easily, the two mags have pads and the grip screws are stainless with allen heads. Nice for an $850 gun.

On the down side:

While most shooters like them, I really dislike the G-10 grips which the next owner will find in the box with the 9mm barrel after it's converted. Also, I have and have had a LOT of 1911's in just about every caliber and the main and recoil springs feel really, REALLY light and I'll give them a boost when the super barrel goes in.

Overall without shooting it I have to say it's very well done. More to come after the range opens.

Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

See less See more
#2 ·
I recently bought one too ,but unfortunately have yet to get her to the range .I will agree with you that the fit and finish is pretty nice and the slide to frame is outstanding for a price point 1911 . I have no plans on converting it as I enjoy the 9mm in this platform . Let us know how she runs .
Vertebrate Air gun Trigger Mammal Everyday carry

#4 ·
I bought one in .45 and like OP, have not been to the range with it yet. My feelings echo his, this is a very high quality 1911. I'd like to find a fiber optic front sight as well as a matt finished slide stop, but not in any hurry. I changed out the grips too.

#5 ·
I have used a Magnum Research 1911G by Bul in 45 ACP in competition for several years. Smooth with an outstanding trigger. Sold it when I quit competition, regretted it, bought it back. Then I saw the Bul Armory government in 9mm so I sold the MR back to the seller and bought the Bul. What an outstanding 1911! Even smoother than the MR Bul and the DW Pointman, with a trigger that would pass for the best pro trigger job. I now have over 500 rounds through it with 100% function and the sights are spot on. I’d already converted other 1911s to G10 grips and was pleased that the Bul was equipped with them, and with a mag release groove to boot. That performance called for a mate so I acquired a Bul Commander in 9mm. Everything said about the Government model applies to the Commander but I may replace the front sight. I would recommend either of these to anyone who wanted a high quality 1911 with a price under $1000. This 1911 is an outstanding value.

#9 · (Edited)
Today was my first range trip since finishing the .38 super mods on my 9mm Bul Commander.

The barrel I used is a Sig branded 5" I cut and crowned. I had EGW make me a bushing because the Sig barrel OD is ~.010" smaller after cutting off the flared muzzle. All I can say is it was well worth the effort and modest cost not keeping it a 9mm. I cast and powder coat 139 and 149 grain bullets for my 9x25, .38 super and .357 Sig and it wasn't practical get setup with 9mm which would have meant new molds, dies, brass and time to get setup for a one off caliber.

The Bul as a super? Wow! at the range with my Colt LW Commander in super that Bul steel frame is ideal for hot carry and training loads. Where the Colt is finicky with mags, the Bul worked with metal form, shooting star, Colt, Mec Gar, Brown and unknown brands. No surprise there, the Nowlin ramp fixes some sins of the 110+ year old Colt ramp.

Accuracy is easily left / right ventricle and better at 25-30 feet with mixed reloads and a few factory loads without glasses, not bad at my age. Function? flawless.

Once my round count gets up there I'll add it into my carry rotation. Bul is no bull :)

#13 ·
Today was my first range trip since finishing the .38 super mods on my 9mm Bul Commander.

The barrel I used is a Sig branded 5" I cut and crowned. I had EGW make me a bushing because the Sig barrel OD is ~.010" smaller after cutting off the flared muzzle. All I can say is it was well worth the effort and modest cost not keeping it a 9mm. I cast and powder coat 139 and 149 grain bullets for my 9x25, .38 super and .367 Sig and it wasn't practical get setup with 9mm which would have meant new molds, dies, brass and time to get setup for a one off caliber.

The Bul as a super? Wow! at the range with my Colt LW Commander in super that Bul steel frame is ideal for hot carry and training loads. Where the Colt is finicky with mags, the Bul worked with metal form, shooting star, Colt, Mec Gar, Brown and unknown brands. No surprise there, the Nowlin ramp fixes some sins of the 110+ year old Colt ramp.

Accuracy is easily left / right ventricle and better at 25-30 feet with mixed reloads and a few factory loads without glasses, not bad at my age. Function? flawless.

Once my round count gets up there I'll add it into my carry rotation. Bul is no bull :)
I would like to handle a commander 9mm and maybe turn it into a 38S but I like the PVD finish over just SS. It would be a good range pistol, I have a Guardian 38S, but do not want to use it for the range much once it is completely vetted. , alum. frame ya know. I shoot my other alum framed 45 a bit but all with light range loads and cast bullets.

This sounds like a relatively easy conversion and not so expensive. depends...........just thinking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.