1911Forum banner

Bull barrel takedown

1436 Views 20 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Q.C.
Hi all

I have a RIA Ultra HC in 10 mm with the bull barrel. While I don't find field stripping the pistol to be exceptionally tedious, I am going through an inordinate amount of paper clips. The wife is starting to ask questions...

Does anyone have experience with the Dawson Tool-Less Guiderod that they'd like share, good or bad? I understand I can buy a lot of paperclips for $100 plus shipping, but I'm also not opposed to spending a few bucks to make my life marginally easier.

Thanks in advance.

Cross posted in the general Parts and Accessories forum.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
I just purchased one, I'll let you know.
I went the Wilson Combat GI route and *24 lb spring.
You might try a small Hex key or a larger/stronger paper clip. I don't think I've ever bent one.
Reactions: 1
I modified a hex key to fit.
I usually just remove the entire slide without disassembly though.
If you move the slide to the notch and push the pin out it'll slide right off.
Reactions: 4
I grabbed a "fancy" rubber coated heavy duty paper clip from my home office on my first day with my Rock Ultra FS 10mm. Spent a few minutes straighting and shaping it with hand tools until it was perfect.

It has been through a dozen takedowns and is just starting to show some signs of wear. I'll cut 4mm off, bend the end again, and get 10-15 more takedowns. 😎
The Dawson guide rod looks like a problem waiting to happen. I would not want small moving parts, nooks, and crannies on something that front & center.

It seems we are all programmed to want to buy the next great gimmick, but I think you'd be better off getting better paperclips and practicing. I put together a couple bull barrel RIA's from the builders kits and really like their guide rod setup- solid, clean, smooth. I must have used the same paperclip to take them down a couple hundred times without wear to gun or clip.

Ps: sorry, didn't mean to come off overly critical of the Dawson product, they make good stuff. If you have the extra cash and want to add some bling to your Rock, by all means pick one up.
Reactions: 3
The Dawson guide rod looks like a problem waiting to happen. I would not want small moving parts, nooks, and crannies on something that front & center.

It seems we are all programmed to want to buy the next great gimmick, but I think you'd be better off getting better paperclips and practicing. I put together a couple bull barrel RIA's from the builders kits and really like their guide rod setup- solid, clean, smooth. I must have used the same paperclip to take them down a couple hundred times without wear to gun or clip.

Ps: sorry, didn't mean to come off overly critical of the Dawson product, they make good stuff. If you have the extra cash and want to add some bling to your Rock, by all means pick one up.
I appreciate your input. Looks like a trip to Office Depot to pick up some more paper clips is in order.
Hi all

I have a RIA Ultra HC in 10 mm with the bull barrel. While I don't find field stripping the pistol to be exceptionally tedious, I am going through an inordinate amount of paper clips. The wife is starting to ask questions...

Does anyone have experience with the Dawson Tool-Less Guiderod that they'd like share, good or bad? I understand I can buy a lot of paperclips for $100 plus shipping, but I'm also not opposed to spending a few bucks to make my life marginally easier.

Thanks in advance.

I DO HAVE ONE ON MY ROCK ISLAND AND IT WORKS FINE, SHOT SEVERAL HUNDERED ROUNDS AND IT STILL WORKS
Go to your local mechanic's shop and see if they have any old brake springs lying around they can give you the next time you're getting your oil changed. I made a take down pin out of one of those, way more stout than a paper clip.

The ones that look kinda like this are perfect:

Wood Eyewear Rectangle Fashion accessory Metal

Or stop by your Honda dealer, they should have a million of 'em lying around. They're supposed to get changed every time you do a brake job. And there's guaranteed to be a hoarder in the shop that keeps them for one reason or another.

Anyway, that little hook on either end is already bent perfect for poking in the take down hole on the guide rod, and the brake spring metal is pretty tough stuff. The only hard part is bending it straight enough that you can pluck the recoil assembly out of the slide. But where there is a will there is a way.
See less See more
  • Love
Hi all

Thanks in advance.

I use this rig shortened paper clip and painters caulk cap. Can field strip a bull faster than a bushing. And that spring cap doesn’t get airborne.
Lipstick Writing implement Office supplies Font Tints and shades
See less See more
Reactions: 2
Go to your local mechanic's shop and see if they have any old brake springs lying around they can give you the next time you're getting your oil changed. I made a take down pin out of one of those, way more stout than a paper clip.

View attachment 679554

Or stop by your Honda dealer, they should have a million of 'em lying around. They're supposed to get changed every time you do a brake job. And there's guaranteed to be a hoarder in the shop that keeps them for one reason or another.

Anyway, that little hook on either end is already bent perfect for poking in the take down hole on the guide rod, and the brake spring metal is pretty tough stuff. The only hard part is bending it straight enough that you can pluck the recoil assembly out of the slide. But where there is a will there is a way.
OMG how did I not think of this! Perfect!

View attachment 679554

I worked on Hondas for over 35 years, they don't use those, (unless my memory is worse than I thought and I don't have any of those stashed and I hoard anything I might use) it's Toyota and maybe others. Good idea though.
I worked on Hondas for over 35 years, they don't use those, (unless my memory is worse than I thought and I don't have any of those stashed and I hoard anything I might use) it's Toyota and maybe others. Good idea though.
Might be a newer model thing? Or just something Acura does. But I work at an Acura dealer, and just took this picture of our shop hoarder's lift:

Yellow Gas Machine Metal Close-up

They work great. I hoard anything I might use too, those usually aren't on the list though. I don't think I've ever run across a car that should have them, but didn't. And if I did...I know where to find them lol.
See less See more
Might be a newer model thing? Or just something Acura does. But I work at an Acura dealer, and just took this picture of our shop hoarder's lift:

View attachment 679574

They work great. I hoard anything I might use too, those usually aren't on the list though. I don't think I've ever run across a car that should have them, but didn't. And if I did...I know where to find them lol.
I wish I had saved one of those now as I need it for the purpose discussed. I remember installing them but don't remember on what.
I have had the same piece of wire in my cleaning kit for decades. If I were to lose it, the replacement, paper clip or whatever would have similar tenure.
You might try a small Hex key or a larger/stronger paper clip. I don't think I've ever bent one.
Ahhh Thank you for the tip. I have hundreds of tiny ,long hex wrench I have collected over the years. I also bought the better recoil system for my colt defender that uses a paper clip an it socks. Got that taken care of now Thanks
I have had the same piece of wire in my cleaning kit for decades. If I were to lose it, the replacement, paper clip or whatever would have similar tenure.
I am like you still have my first paper clip cannot tell you how old it is .
Reactions: 4
I don’t see what the fuss is about. How much simpler can it get- a paper clip? Too easy!

At least it’s not something proprietary like the goofy POS spacers that Stacatto came out with.
I swapped my bull barreled pistol to a Wilson flat wire kit and just take the whole slide of as noted above. It works great. I had over 2500 rounds on the factory recoil spring and it was time for a change.
Reactions: 3
1 - 20 of 21 Posts