1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done and published an evaluation of the accuracy of a bull barrel as opposed to a fitted bushing barrel in high end 1911s?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Has anyone done and published an evaluation of the accuracy of a bull barrel as opposed to a fitted bushing barrel in high end 1911s?
Don't know about published. As far as real world experience,the Officer frame is a Schuemann match barrel,the gov't frame is a Kart National Match barrel with a fitted bushing. Both guns are accu railed. I can't see any difference......

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
All else being equal, a bull barrel "should in theory" be more accurate.

More rigid, and there is only one point at which error could occur (barrel to slide fit) where as on a bushing barrel you have to fit the barrel to the ID of the bushing which is not a simple hole, then you need to fit the bushing to the slide... and there also needs to be enough tolerance in there to disassemble the gun.

However this would be impossible to effectively prove consistently because you need to consider barrels are different, slide to frame, lugs to slide, lugs to frame, barrel hood to slide, etc, fit is never exactly the same.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
FYI/FWIW

Bar Sto Barrel for the .400 CorBon
It has the same O.D. as my stock
SW1911 in .45 ACP and usesthe same bushing
It also is the same O.D. full length so it has
more 'meat' material and weighs a bit more than the stock .45 bbl.

R-

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
palooka, I believe Bill Mannett's results are as good as you'll find anywhere. I have guns with well fit bushing and bull barrels. I can't really say that one or the other is any more accurate. With well fit, quality barrels, I just don't think there is real world difference in accuracy....ymmv

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Who says they're more accurate?

I thought the advantage of bull barrels was a bit more weight up front to help better manage recoil for possible follow up shots. I didn't realize they were supposed to be more accurate.

I have a Wilson Combat CQB that I ordered with both a regular barrel and a bull barrel so I could compare the two. There is certainly no accuracy difference that I am able to perceive. The bull might give a little more weight to the front of the gun but it's very minor. I'm not sure it makes any significant contributions to managing recoil. If it does, it's very minor.

·
Registered
12,458 Posts
If there's any difference, it is so microscopic that it would be difficult to prove. E.g., how could someone prove that the guns tested were each built to an identical degree of virtually perfect fit. A person would also run into the question of how tightly does he/she want a barrel bushing/barrel fitted. For a one-shot test, a fit that was too tight for practical use might produce the most accurate result.

So ... my opinion is that no one would even undertake such a test ... too many variables and no matter the conclusion, someone else could find ample reason to disagree. I can't see anyone having enough money and time to attempt a thorough study of this nature with so little to show from whatever conclusions might be published.

Now, as to rapid follow-up shots (no Ransom rest), a heavier barrel will tend to be more accurate ... but this is due to the shooter reaction to the gun's recoil rather than to the gun's intrinsic accuracy.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If there's any difference, it is so microscopic that it would be difficult to prove. E.g., how could someone prove that the guns tested were each built to an identical degree of virtually perfect fit.

Now, as to rapid follow-up shots (no Ransom rest), a heavier barrel will tend to be more accurate ... but this is due to the shooter reaction to the gun's recoil rather than to the gun's intrinsic accuracy.
A coned barrel gun has a completely different recoil pulse,in my experience.And no matter what caliber or barrel contour,they are,in my opinion,faster on follow up shots. Just a personal observation,from shooting both 1911 types. I think the fact that both the guns I pictured are accu-railed,that the frame to slide fits are within a couple of tenths(as in .0002) or less,of each other.Thus giving a more verifiable reference,in regards to fit.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I'm not sure about any theoretical advantage of a bull barrel. You can buy barrels with matching bushings lapped to fit. A bull barrel is fitted to a particular slide. In either case, the locking grooves would require fitting for best results, along with the link. Accuracy in a 1911 depends more on a consistent return to battery than any other factor. I doubt there is much flex or resonance in a 5" barrel.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
A barrel is usually the single most accurate piece on a 1911, no matter how it is fit. Take the barrel of your choice, put it in a test fixture, measure the groups for accuracy. Almost any quality barrel you can name will probably shoot 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 25yds, UNTIL you build a gun around it. Depending on many factors, not the least of which are the shooter and ammo selection, your 1/2inch grouping test barrel could only be PRACTICALLY capable of 4 inch groups at 25yds. Or it could shoot 2.25 inches at 50yds. At the distances the .45acp and the 1911 were designed for, either would be acceptable.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,338 Posts
I'd expect there to be a greater difference between a bushing barrel installed by one guy and a bull barrel installed by someone else, than between a barrel of each type installed by the same person. That is, who installs the barrel is going to be more important to accuracy than which type of barrel.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I've owned and shot both, DW Cbob with a bushing, Kimber Pro-CarryII with a cone barrel, various and sundry others as well. I agree the cone-barrel in recoil is faster, probably because most cone-barrel Commander-ish guns are generally 4 inch barrels, and therefore the slide is also slightly lighter. Either is noticeably faster than a 5" gun.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have three STIs, with one being bushing and the two others being bull. From a purely practical standpoint, I can't say one is more accurate than the other. All three shoot dead-on.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Bill Mannett, how much, if any, accuracy improvement would you attribute to the close fit of slide to frame your pistols display? As you undoubtedly know, many discount a close slide to frame fit as having any significant positive effect on accuracy, no matter the barrel type...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts