1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to try a 4in. Commander size gun. I have owned 2 Bull barrel guns one 5in and one 6in that really didn't show me any advantage over a bushing gun as far as accuracy if anything they are less accurate but could be me. Disassembly is more hassle. Now on the shorter guns do they have any advantage over a bushing gun other than weight?TIA for you input.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have a Kimber Compact - bull barrel and a Randall LeMay, with a barrel bushing. Both in .45 ACP.

Both are reliable and as accurate as I can shoot them. If it's put together right I don't know that one has an accuracy advantage over the other. It is easier to field strip a gun with the bushing.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
TB:
Using a pistol for defensive purposes, I like the Bull Barrel. Just something about the looking at business end of one (it's definitely a little more intimidating than the standard match barrel and bushing set up).

·
Registered
684 Posts
KB: Check your local laws

I don't know about your locale, but if you draw a pistol where I live in order to "intimidate", you are the guilty party and the BGs who prompted you to 'skin your smokewagon' are the assaultees. They walk, and you are in line for a spinchter expansion in the general population.

General rule of concealed carry is if you feel threatened enough to present your pistol, you are in fear of your life and you are within your rights to fire. To me, that says, if you draw, shoot. If it's not a life-threatening situation, don't draw.

I see so many posts about "scaring off" bgs by aggressively displaying the great yawning maw of a .45. Very macho. Grown men quail in horror at the mere sight of your mega blaster. Only problem is, the law calls that "brandishing" and it's a felony.

If you think you're about to be killed, shoot the BG. If you want to scare the BG, show him your date up close.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to be off topic....But you'd be better served having an alternate plan for self def. also. Be it pepper spray, tactical knife,cell phone, something less than lethal force.

sooner or latter you'll draw and the BG won't blink an eye:rolleyes:

Jim

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Even if you only draw when you think you will need to use the weapon, the sight of the weapon can make shooting it unnecessary. In that context, why NOT have it look more intimidating? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Re: KB: Check your local laws

mark1174 said:
General rule of concealed carry is if you feel threatened enough to present your pistol, you are in fear of your life and you are within your rights to fire. To me, that says, if you draw, shoot. If it's not a life-threatening situation, don't draw.
Question, since I don't know the answer:
What if while you are drawing your weapon (intending to shoot), the bg realizes his folly (maybe scared by the sight of the bull barrel) and surrenders, screaming "don't shoot". Aren't you obliged by the law NOT to fire?

Ernon

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
E & CB:
Generally speaking...if the BG is confronted by your intimidating looking “Bull Barreled Pistol” and drops his weapon or flees the scene, the threat is over and use of deadly force is no longer valid as a defense.

·
Registered
78 Posts
First, I'm not an attorney and I am not giving legal advice.

I understand the concept of "don't draw unless you intend to fire". If said BG has a firearm, there is not much of an alternative. You don't have time or options. If said BG is coming after you with a knife or crowbar, you very may well be able to save your own hide without firing. I do not believe this would be considered "brandishing".

"Officer, he pulled out a knife, I drew my weapon, he dropped the knife and ran. There is the knife over there." I cannot imagine this would lead to an arrest for brandishing.

Just my 2 cents.

Daniel
Austin, Texas

·
Registered
521 Posts
KB said:
E & CB:
Generally speaking...if the BG is confronted by your intimidating looking “Bull Barreled Pistol” and drops his weapon or flees the scene, the threat is over and use of deadly force is no longer valid as a defense.
Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought but I wanted to check with someone who knew.

Ernon

·
Registered
695 Posts
Back to the topic here...I like Bull barrels on 1911's...I don't know how long they last in comparison to bushing barrels over the long haul...They sure do seem to shoot well...

·
Registered
505 Posts
CastleBravo said:
Even if you only draw when you think you will need to use the weapon, the sight of the weapon can make shooting it unnecessary. In that context, why NOT have it look more intimidating? :rolleyes:
If you have to draw on a BG, the sight of the pistol will either scare him or not, period. Bigger is better as far as intimidation goes, but I doubt your run-of the mill BG is gonna notice the Bull BBL. CT grips would probably have a much better effect in terms of intimidation.

Anyway, I prefer the standard barrel for takedown reasons. I cant always find a paperclip when I tear my 4" kimber down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts