1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MAN! I called Precision to see why my order was taking so long. They told me 6-8 WEEKS, as they cannot make bullets fast enough. I can't see how they keep business when a person has to wait 2 months to get a product. The guy told me they are not equiped yet for mass production.

GEEZ!

I ended up ordering 500 Rainier bullets from Midway- 230 gr plated (45acp)

How do you folks like these? Just for general target shooting and practice. I'm not doing any serious competition.

Recommended W231 loads??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
21,988 Posts
That is strange, I got the order for the bullets I used in my smoke test in just a little over a week. Guess business comes and goes.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So now I have my new 550B all set up, but need bullets. Was too late to run to the nearest shop to buy a small batch.

Does nayone know the feeling?? My wife drives up this evening and asks how many I've reloaded? "ZERO" I tell her. "No frikin bullets." Man-o-man what a day.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It seems that Precision bullets has some more than others. Popular weights and styles move much more quickly than some others. Then I ordered my 10mm 200g bullets and 230g 45 bullets they had a 4 week backorder on 158g SWC for the .38. Nice bullets and good people though. Just order in advance of when you might need them. My motto is to never run out :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Berry's www.berrysmfg.com is a great place to get good quality bulk plated bullets quickly ... I've NEVER received anything from Precision in less than 3 weeks, but I've always ordered far enough in advance that I'm fine with it. I didn't even know that there WAS a shooting season until they told me that they are always behind during shooting season ;) Now that I think of it, I still don't know when or what shooting season is :confused:

I'd second the comment above ... good people and a good product ... just plan accordingly and you'll be happy with them.

Saands

·
Registered
76 Posts
In a e-mail Dave Long sent me at the end of October he mentioned they were in the process of moving into a new addition & production facility and should have full inventory byFeb-Mar 04.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just got 1k of .45 230 LRN from them in about 8-10 days from order placement to receipt at my door.

The guy said that they would ship out on the 8th of Dec and they actually arrived on the 8th. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Try contacting Bear Creek in Calif. I was using Precision Bullets and had the same trouble, always 6-8 weeks deliver time. Bear Creek will ship for free, Well the cost of shipping is in the cost of the bullets. You have to order $70.00 worth for the free shipping.
These bullets "look" the same as Precision, Moly coated. Use them in my 357 at 1400-1450 FPS, no leading. Just FYI, 1000 38 calilber 158 gr. SWC would cost you $43.50, plus shipping, under $70, if you went with another 1000 rounds of 125Gr. fp, for $41.50 all the above would be shipped free. AND he seems to have bullets in stock. Phone # is: 1-209-874-4322 or look them up on the web under pathfinderSports.com

Good Luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why don't you try Shooters Club on David Drive in Metarie. They carry Lead and Berrys plated in all calibers and usually have plenty 45ACP in 200 LSWC and 230g LRN and Berrys 230g RN plated in stock.

·
Registered
861 Posts
231 loads...

My Midway LoadMAP lists a range of 4.5gr W231 to 6.5gr W231 for their brand of 230gr plated RN (which I've heard are Rainers, though I couldn't prove it.)

I've used a 230gr Berry plated RN with 5.8gr of W231, CCI 300 large pistol primer, mixed brass, OAL of 1.269 - 1.271, and 3/4 turn on my Lee Factory Crimp die. From a 5" 1991A1, I got an average speed of 856 feet/sec. Using a West Coast 230gr plated RN with same load, I got 837 feet/sec from same gun. This load worked well for me. You should probably start short of this load and work up.

I would think the Rainier bullet would perform about like the West Coast or Berry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts