1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought some lead hollow points in 9mm that were supposed to be 124 grain. With the ring of lube the bullets weigh out at 130 grains. Does this sound right? There are no recipes in my Speer bible for 130g LHPs.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Lube weighs virtually nothing. Maybe a few tenths of a grain at most in a large caliber bullet with several lube grooves.

A cast lead bullet weighs more or less depending upon the alloy. More tin and it weighs less than expected, less tin and it weighs more. All from the same mold. If the load for those bullets was intended for a Lyman #2 alloy and the caster used mostly pure lead, the bullets will weigh more. Also, there are molds for 130 grain 38 Super. Perhaps the bullets were not labeled properly.

Are you loading for 9mm Luger, 38 Super, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, or some other similar cartridge? Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has lots of load data for lots of different bullet weights.

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
+1 on weight difference due to different alloys. Honestly it has been my experience that a 6gr difference in cast bullet weights will not make a noticeable difference in performance, at least not in my loads.

If they are the correct diameter don't sweat the difference unless you're loading on the razor's edge.

Grumpy

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Bullet diameter can also affect weight. I cast 130 grain, .358 and size to .357 for 38Spl, 38 Super and 9mm. IF you a using a medium burn rate powder below maximum 125 grain load data will be GTG.

Using the same NOE 9mm, 130 grain LRN mold/bullet/diameter for 3 calibers has simplified the issue for me.
I'm getting excellent accuracy and zero leading using 125/130 grain data.

Shoot more worry less,

·
Banned
1,650 Posts
I recently bought some lead hollow points in 9mm that were supposed to be 124 grain. With the ring of lube the bullets weigh out at 130 grains. Does this sound right? There are no recipes in my Speer bible for 130g LHPs.
That's because Speer doesn't manufacture such a bullet.

Go here for data.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_1-23-14.pdf

...and here

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/86...andbook-4th-edition-book?cm_vc=ProductFinding

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
It sounds like it might be time to invest in a few more reloading manuals.....can never own too many. The Lymans manual for cast lead bullets should be a good one for you.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
We have many experienced reloaders here who can answers questions. In addition i would recommend going to castboolits.com there you will find anything you ever wanted to know about lead. I have gotten many good tips there.

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
Thanks guys,. After I load this batch, I think I'll just stick with jhps and fmjrn for simplicity.
Nothing wrong with keeping it simple-jjfitch is using a very similar bullet in three different calibers. Go ahead and shoot them and see if they do as well or better for you, you may be surprised-lead is great at typical handgun velocities!

Just be sure there isn't any copper fouling in your barrels before shooting them...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
You can just use data for a bullet of similar weight and shape whether it be cast or jacketed. Just follow reloading Rule #1-start low and work up.

I have no idea who produced those bullets but a 6 grain variance on a nominal 124 grain bullet seems to be excessive. It usually means that the alloy used contains a much higher amount of lead than the alloy specified for that mold-not good. An even more telling piece of information would be the spread of weights when comparing say 12 or so bullets. High quality cast bullets of that nominal weight should not vary by more than +/- .75 grains.

Just because you do not have load data for the exact bullet you have does not mean you're stymied although many inexperienced and some experienced reloaders seem to think that they are. Just use data for a bullet of similar weight and shape regardless of construction. Use the minimum or beginning charge weight and do actual load development for your gun. There's nothing to be afraid of IF you use a little common sense and follow Rule #1.

Bruce

·
Registered
379 Posts
Use 124 lead data and drop it .2 grains and work from there. No problem. Were they marked 9mm? 130s are usually 38 Super weights...but they are fine to use. Try 3.6 grains of Titegroup or 3.8 grains of 231/HP38. Should group nice.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I have a bunch of molds and shoot lead. I generally experiment with several bullets and then stick to one and one powder that works the best.

For 38sp a lee 140gr SWC lubed with homemade and using Vectan GM3 or Red Dot works nicely.

Concur on the alloy's having alot to do with dropped weight. There are a couple of sights online if you want to learn about shooting lead. Castboolit's is one of them. Why re-invent the wheel and spend who knows how much on powder when just about anything you can think of trying with a cast bullet has been tried by someone on that sight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts