1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seek the advice of the reloading guru's. Recently bought the "Blue
Bullet" from N. Carolina (.45 ACP 200gr. SWC) when I opened the bag I noticed the long bearing surface.

I compared it's diameter to other SWC I have loaded and they're the same. The problem came when I attempted to seat the bullet and taking extreme pressure (vs. other SWCs) to complete the process. I thought I may not be belling enough, but after opening up the case mouth still the same issue.

I thought maybe the coating wasn't slick enough to provide easy seating, but I
understand others have loaded 1,000s of these bullets. Any help or
suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your attention - jrent

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
Are they bevel base or square base? I've noticed a bit of a difference with that (square base seem to take a touch more effort) but not what you're describing.

I take it that your seating die is set up right and not applying a crimp too soon and shaving the coating?

Is the seating die clean on the inside?

And there's always this...

http://www.forsterproducts.com/catalog.asp?prodid=701223

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
The 200 gr. Blue Bullets are a flat base, H&G knockoff.
I use them in range loads and am quite satisfied with their accuracy.
Enough case bell is necessary to avoid damaging the coating when seating bullets.
An "M" die is better than a standard expander die with coated bullets IME.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Are you seating and crimping in seperate steps? You will get far better results.

Bell the cases enough to allow you to start the bullets into the cases some, but not shave the coating. A no bevel base coated bullet design will require more flare than any other bullet style.
The M dies do help...esp. with starting the bullets squarely in cases. You can make your standard die to work, though.
Sounds like you are either not flaring enough or crimping as a separate step...or both.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bullet Seating

Guys - thanks for all the comments. Allow me to provide details that I should have included in original post. I measured the diameters of the following-Blue Bullet, Bayou, Precision, Xtreme and they're all .451.

I'm loading on a straight line progressive so seating and crimping are done as separate stages. The dies come down over the cases so I don't get as much leverage as a single stage press. The problem with seating is as the bullet is going into the case at stage 4 a primer is being seated at stage 2. If the bullet doesn't seat the primer is only partially seated which in turns ties up the entire press!

I found an old Bonanza expander plug that may work like an M die. It measures .450 at the base and .474 at the lip

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The problem with seating is as the bullet is going into the case at stage 4 a primer is being seated at stage 2. If the bullet doesn't seat the primer is only partially seated which in turns ties up the entire press!

Is the difficulty of seating a bullet causing the primer not to seat or is the difficulty of seating a primer causing the bullet not to seat?

Have you tried seating a bullet when you are not seating a primer?

I have run into situations in which the primer is very hard to seat fully.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I'm thinking about frangible bullets that I loaded a ways back. I remember them being a bit more difficult to seat despite them being the same diameter as the plated and FMJ. I attributed that to the rougher surface and more friction. But I had no problems. I could just feel more resistance and it required a little bit more of a deliberate effort with the handle pull. But this was on a turret press so seating was the only operation.

Aside from altering the case mouth expansion (m-die or whatever) as has been discussed, I don't have any more to offer. But I'm thinking that the solution will be attainable because there must be many members here loading coated bullets on a progressive. I plan on eventually trying some coated bullets so I'll be interested in the solution in the event that I run into any issues. I had already planned on using my M-dies for expansion.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Snapdragon - the difficulty is seating the bullet which is causing the primer not to seat. With other bullets primers (WLPP) seat fine.

Landanum - The "Blue Bullet" just doesn't seem to work for me in my press (at this point). I've recently been using Bayou Bullets. If you decide to try coated you might give them a try, no leading, no smoke, no residue while handling and easy seating.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Snapdragon - the difficulty is seating the bullet which is causing the primer not to seat. With other bullets primers (WLPP) seat fine.

Landanum - The "Blue Bullet" just doesn't seem to work for me in my press (at this point). I've recently been using Bayou Bullets. If you decide to try coated you might give them a try, no leading, no smoke, no residue while handling and easy seating.
I wasn't planning on the Blue Bullets anyway. I was looking into the shoulder-less round nose coated bullets such as those offered by SNS. At any rate, I don't anticipate a problem as I use a Turret or single stage, therefore I don't prime while seating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts