1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made and shot about 500 rds of 3b spc without a hitch. Life was great! Then I decided to move onto 45 ACP. Fired 6 rounds and have a FMJ 230gr bullet stuck an inch down the barrel.

1) How do I get it out?

2) Got any clues as to what went wrong? I'm using a Lee Turret Press with the Factory Crimp Die and the Auto Pro disc powder feeder. ( I know, I know..... I should have bought the Dillon!! )

·
Registered
259 Posts
Looks to me like a "squib" load. A load that is primer only, no powder. The primer has just enough power to get the bullet a inch or two down the barrel and then it sticks. Take a rod a little smaller than the barrel and stick it in the end, tap it with a hammer and it will knock it out through the chamber end. Use a wooden dowel rod or brass rod so you don't damage the barrel. I actually use an old screwdriver that I ground off the slot end and rounded so it would not hurt the barrel. I have to say "wood or brass rod" so your lawyer cannot sue me if you damage your barrel.
I am glad that you caught the fact that you had bullet stuck. The next round would have gone Kaboom.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me, using the exact same equipment. You had what is called a "squib" round, or round that didn't get charged with powder.

First to get the bullet out:

Get a rounded off socket extension, or some solid metal object(no edges, rounded) that will fit in the barrel. Secure the barrel in a vice and tap out the bullet. It will take a few taps, but it will come out. You can use a wood dowel rod, but it will take much longer to tap out since the wood absorbs the kinetic energy.

Inspect equipment:

Don't go blamming your equipment just yet, as with my situation it was purely operator error that resulted when I was reloading late at night and tired. The next day, after the bullet stick, I inspected my equipment and found that the night before I hadn't paid attention to the hopper on the dispenser and it went dry on me without me realizing it. Since that day, I have kept a full hopper and haven't had another "squib" since.

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have produced a squib on my Dillon, so don't get buyers remorse over that.

There are two kinds of reloaders: those that have produced a squib, and those that will produce a squib.

You've been promoted to the first kind.

------------------
It may have been a Ball yesterday, it might be a Ball tomorrow, it might even be a Ball later on tonight, but right now I say it's a Strike and YER OUT! - Unknown offical officiating a popular game.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, got the bullet out. I went back to the bench and figured out what I did wrong while loading some 38's. I still check every 10-15 loads to be sure the powder is metering correctly. I took the round off the press, poured the powder on the scale, then put it right back in the same rotation without starting over! I caught myself this time. I need to remeber to always start at the start!!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
The most important lessons come after you already know everything!

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

·
Registered
688 Posts
There are two kinds of reloaders: Those who have assembled a squib load and those who will eventually. I carry three different diameter dowels every time I visit the range.

Eddie

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have loaded a squib myself, however, using the taper spec'd by Bill Wilson (was it .469"??), the bullet never made it out of the case, and I have chrono'ed loads and found them very close to published data. So other than goofing and failing to charge that one round, am I crimping too tightly?

·
Registered
157 Posts
No, your crimp is correct. It may be a dud primer and not a lack of powder.

·
Registered
582 Posts
WELCOME to the world of SGUIB's. That's why most every reloader carries a wood dow in his shooting box. I check every load before I seat the bullet. Glad you didn't blow up your gun....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I use an brass rod from shotguunning and knock it out the muzzle end. Since its already sized to the bore just keep it going out the same way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts