1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the same Sig 1911 magazines in competitions for a while (about 4-5 years). Recently, on most mags, every time I pull a mag out of the mag pouch the first bullet jumps out of the mag.
Are the lips out of spec?
Is there anything that can be done to fix this?
I am not too worried about it (they've taken a beating over the years) - I'm going to order new mags, but I am interested in knowing the cause and if it can be fixed.
Thank you in advance & Happy 4th to you and all of yours.

·
Registered
12,714 Posts
I've been using the same Sig 1911 magazines ...

Recently, on most mags, every time I pull a mag out of the mag pouch the first bullet jumps out of the mag.

The feed lips may be out of spec.

It could also be a spring issue, that it has gotten weak over the years. A new spring may fix the problem.

There is a good chance SIG mags are made by CheckMate. If they are hybrid lipped mags, this is a relatively common problem. These mags feed smoothly, but they also don't retain the rounds very securely. However, since this is a new issue for you, the other two may be the issue.

Hilton Yam often comments to not fall in love with your mags. They are consumables. When they stop working get some new ones. I'm not going to play around with feed lips, but I may give a new mag spring a try.

·
Registered
22,400 Posts
A common phenomenon with 9mm, varies by brand.
I only use my Tripps to LAMR.

Are yours .45? Do they drop free? I'd slide my calipers up the tube to see if the lips were splayed.
I'd replace one spring and see if that fixed it.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A common phenomenon with 9mm, varies by brand.
I only use my Tripps to LAMR.

Are yours .45? Do they drop free? I'd slide my calipers up the tube to see if the lips were splayed.
I'd replace one spring and see if that fixed it.
Jim,
They are .45s - thanks for the feed back.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The feed lips may be out of spec.

It could also be a spring issue, that it has gotten weak over the years. A new spring may fix the problem.

There is a good chance SIG mags are made by CheckMate. If they are hybrid lipped mags, this is a relatively common problem. These mags feed smoothly, but they also don't retain the rounds very securely. However, since this is a new issue for you, the other two may be the issue.

Hilton Yam often comments to not fall in love with your mags. They are consumables. When they stop working get some new ones. I'm not going to play around with feed lips, but I may give a new mag spring a try.
I ordered Tripp mags.
I also think I am going to replace the springs on a couple and see if that makes a difference - as it is, I don't trust the mags anymore and replacing them is the only way I know not to worry about the issue.

I totally agree that one should not fall in love with their mags.

Thank you,

·
Registered
163 Posts
I assume you've checked the back of the magazine, where the lips run into the back of the mag? I can well remember my old Colt magazines splitting after a few years of use, they would do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I assume you've checked the back of the magazine, where the lips run into the back of the mag? I can well remember my old Colt magazines splitting after a few years of use, they would do the same thing.
I just checked - no splitting. Good point though.
It's amazing how many things there are to look for. I feel ignorant about mags right now, but I'm getting educated.
Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yup... I had that happen to an original Colt 70's .38 Super Magazine.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If Ed brown is still doing the mag exchange program, that’ll be the time to exchange your tires mags for some new ones. If what I’ve read here is correct, Ed brown also uses checkmate industries magazines

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
I've been using the same Sig 1911 magazines in competitions for a while (about 4-5 years). Recently, on most mags, every time I pull a mag out of the mag pouch the first bullet jumps out of the mag.
I am not too worried about it (they've taken a beating over the years) - I'm going to order new mags, but I am interested in knowing the cause and if it can be fixed.
Thank you in advance & Happy 4th to you and all of yours.
When the spring starts to fail, I'll replace the spring. But when the lips start to fail, the magazine goes into the bag of range mags as long as it feed 5 - 0 reliably.

Reactions: US1

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
When you service the mags, you don’t oil the body and follower do you? That is known to cause inertial feeds and may help the round escape.
Joe

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Back in the old days we couldn't fix everything with a credit card so we learned to modify GI mags to cycle reliably with semi-wadcutters and hollowpoints. It's still doable and I find it to be fun but I recognize the new tech that makes great mags possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts