1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently posted test results on my web site that show how common duty round perform against windshield glass. The results include deflection and velocity/energy loss. The results can be found at http://thecurmudgeon.freeservers.com/fa-index.html in the "AR-15 Advocacy" section.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thanks much. Good report. I do have a question. Are the angles referred to actually varying angles of the winshield in the frame or do they related to the azmuth of the shooter in relation to a fixed windshield? (I assume the former but we all know better than to assume).

Best regards,
Jim Higginbotham

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If I read the description correctly, the glass was tilted to 15, 30, and 45 degrees, but I may be making the same assumption as JimH.

As I understand it, basically the test appears to be largely two dimensional. Notice how 15 degrees was denoted as sharply sloping. I take that to mean that 15 degrees was from horizontal and so 90 degrees would be vertical.

Neat test for a benchmark start. I assume that results would only improve as the glass became even more vertical, as it is in many types of vehicles.

Since the test apparently was only done shooting straight on at the glass, as if the shooter were in the road and was shooting at an approaching vehicle, the next round of tests should add the third dimension and have the shooter shooting from various degrees away from the center line or being directly in front of the vehicle. No doubt that the combination of windshield slope in conjunction with the degrees from center line will show that the extra added angle from center will further reduce potential penetration.

Cool testing idea. I hope that ajp3jeh will follow up with more testing!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys,

I just realized that I didn't make it clear that the testing wasn't done by me. I saw the author offer to send the results by e-mail on another forum. After looking at them, I realized that the info was useful and should get some wider "play."

I rewrote the data in HTML and posted it at my site. I don't claim credit for the info, only it presentation. If anyone would like to discuss the tests, I can provide you with an e-mail contact.

Later,
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts