1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have currently been loading a 230 MC bullet using 5.0 grains of Bullseye and am pretty satisfied with the load.

I have bought some hard cast 200 SWC lead bullets to try and cut costs of reloading. Does anyone know of a recipe using Bullseye that will just meet the power factor in IDPA?

I've noticed that a lot of people like theVV N-310 brand of powder with the 200 SWC. I just have a lot of Bullseye on hand and need to use it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your input. I read a few manuals and inadvertently loaded a few with 5.0 grs and 4.5 grs. of Bullseye. Let me know how the 4.0 grs. work.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The "Modern Technique of the Pistol" was developed and refined in Southern California in the 1960s, primarily with a H&G #68 200g SWC and 4.3g of Bullseye. If memory serves it gives right around 800 fps.

I know of one early "combat shooter" who claimed he wore out a 1911 in one year shooting just that load - of course he fired well over 150,000 rounds of it in that time period.

·
Registered
53 Posts
150,000 rounds in one year? Reloads?

That would me that he reloaded and shot 411 rounds each and every day (no sick days, no holidays, no time off). Is that possible/probable?

At my rate, that would be 1.36 hours a day of reloading plus the drive to the range, the set-up, and the shooting.

Clearly, this person did not have a job.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
hph1911 said:
Thanks guys for your input. I read a few manuals and inadvertently loaded a few with 5.0 grs and 4.5 grs. of Bullseye. Let me know how the 4.0 grs. work.
Tried that load last night in my Springfield and Colt. Fed reliably and was accurate in my Colt but not in my Springfield :hrm: .

It was good enough that I'll load up more and keep using it in my Colt. It's very mild in ther recoil dept.

P.S. guns used: Colt NRM Gov't model and Springfield MilSpec WWII.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Wonder how many barrels they used in shooting a 150,000 rounds

·
Registered
183 Posts
I go 4gr. Bullseye with a 200 gr lswc hand cast from wheelweights. Can't tell you any stats for power, since I don't measure that stuff, but these loads reliably cycle my Trophy Match Longslide.
Dave

·
Registered
436 Posts
5.1 gr. Bullseye,Federal 150 primer,200gr.copperized National Bullet,accurate,chrono 875fps.Brass what ever I got. At one time American Handgunner asked the big dogs what they thought was the best reload and they said 4.8gr. Bullseye,Fed case,Fed primer, CCI 200gr.swc match tmj. Tried it,liked it, but the bullets are too costly at $15 per 100. So I came up with this.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I like 4.2 with 200gr.SWC 4.8 with Speer 200gr JSWC.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Slash-5,

This was in the early days of the South West Pistol League. The man I'm referring to was (is) a noted custom gunsmith from California. He loaded his ammunition on a Star progressive reloader in the evenings. He shot several times a week and on weekends and would fire hundreds of rounds in any one session and as much as a thousand rounds on a Saturday. Then he would shoot in matches on Sundays. I'm not prepaired to call him a lier but if you want to, come right out and say so. Or was that not so subtle slam directed at me?

TC,

The case in question involved one handgun (a Colt Government Model) and one barrel. At the end of the year the gun was worn to the point it would no longer group well and started developing some minor functioning problems.

By the way gentleman, I know any number of serious IPSC shooters who shoot at least 1000 rounds a month and often more. This is not all that uncommon these days.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I tried the 4.5 grs. and 5.0 grs. of Bullseye and 200 SWC. I used a friends chronotach.
The results showed the 4.5 grain at 795 fps. which wouldn't make IDPA power factor. The 5.0 grain at 898 was a little greater than I expected. I would have never guessed 103 ft increase in 1/2 grain.
Both loads function well in my Springfield Govt. Didn't really check accuracy at this time.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Dave I would take a wild guess and say after 150,000 rounds that inside of the barrel, if there was an inside remaining, would be very thin and look as if it were a mirror.

TC

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
BARREL LIFE

Based on bullet material and chosen powder.

150K is not unheard of...............

And Mr. Campbell shot $70,000 of Federal ammo one year.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Just got done with 200 LSWC in my Springer WWII

Not cool.

I was shooting 4.6gr of Unique with 200gr LSWC (Meister) seated at 1.25" and getting FTE on almost every single round.

I really felt like the spring was too strong for it or something.

I am thinking of switching to Bullseye for 100rds and see if that works any better. Also, I am thinking of adding a bit more crimp to the cases so that feeding issues are eliminated.

-Warlock

·
Registered
107 Posts
15 replys and someone finally screwed up and gave their OAL.

Thanks 100_Warlock!

I just loaded and shot 100 rounds of H&G #68 type at 1.240 with a few feed problems in my new Kimber and was wondering what you guyes were useing? I will try to add 10k to the OAL and see what that does for me.

Sorry for the butt in.

Later...

·
Registered
688 Posts
200 gr for IDPA

I use 4.8 gr bullseye behind a 200 gr swc, commercial hardcast or my own wheelweight alloy. There's only a 3 fps average between the two types of bullet. Over all length is .925 from the case base to the top of the bullet shoulder. I seat my swc's with the shoulder instead of the nose. This way I can use the same dies for bullets with differently configured noses without any die adjustments.

This setup gives me a 169 power factor on a day in the low sixties fahrenheit.

I use this load in both my Springfields. One used to be a mil-spec, the other is a Trophy Match.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sierra 230 FMJ over 5.3 gr Win 231 OAL 1.275 yielded 791 fps avg and SD of 17.2

Laser Cast 200 SWC over 4.9 gr Win 231 OAL 1.225 yielded 801 fps and SD of 18.

Compare with S&B factory 230 FMJ of 866 FPS and SD of 15.7.

I don't like the variability of either of my loads, although both fed reliably through both my Kimber Gold Match and Springfield MilSpec. Both also felt much more comfortable (milder) than the factory load.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Gunfyter said:
Bill Wilson recommends 5.0 gr of Bullseye. My load is 5.2 gr of W231. Both are great loads.
I agree with Gunfyter on the 5.2 gr of W231 with the 200 gr cast SWC. It is a lot cleaner than the Unique I use to use, accurate, pleasant to shoot, and functions well in my Wilson.;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts