1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swtiching to Bullseye from 231 (got some cheap - may go back to 231 when it is gone). Anyway I am looking for a similar dosage to my 231 load but in the Bullseye.

My 231 load is

Win LP primer
Mixed brass
200 SWC
5.7 grains of 231

What would the equivalent powder charge be in Bullseye?

Thank you

·
Registered
516 Posts
It appears that the conversion of 5.7 of 231 would convert to 5.4 of Bullseye. I have attached a picture of a recent Sierra Bullets manuel with the data. This is for a Jacket bullet vs a Cast that you want.....but the powder charge is the powder charge. You should start at 5.0 grains and work up though to be on the safe side. If you don't own a loading manuel, I would suggest you buy one... Just so you don't get into any trouble in the future....:)

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would have to agree, 5 gr of bullseye is my standard load and chronos right around 800 fps in my 5 inch guns. 5.4 would be a little hot for just standard practice shooting in my opinion, but its your call. And no matter how experienced people are on this forum, as Condo said, I certainly hope you have reloading manual before you begin loading. As far as "matching" the load, I'll assume you mean velocity, and quite frankly the only way I have been able to accurately match a load from this standpoint is with a chronograph and tinkering with the charge. You'll be close with the charge, but I'm not sure how close you want or need to be.

Safe shooting!!

Gunslinger

·
Banned
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Gents.

FWIW - yes I do have a manual and at one time I did load with Bullseye. At the time I was loading 5.2 grains with 200 SWC and Win LP primers.

I just do not have any thing that will translate what my current load is with 231.

I will go back to 5.2 and work up from there. Yes I do like warm loads - something more akin to what I carry.

Thank you

·
Registered
922 Posts
5.2 gr Bulseye is plenty warm with my plated 200r SWCs:eek:

For everyday blasting 4.8-5.0 is nicer, and feels similar to 5.4 of 231 in my loads.

·
Registered
557 Posts
4.5 grains of Bullseye makes for a comfortable target load with 200 lswc's. 5.0 gets to be a tad annoying after around 75 rounds. YMMV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts