1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only person left that still uses Bulseye to reload 45acp and 9mm ammo?
Seems like everybody else uses some other powder for this kind of application. Just wondering.

------------------
I won't be lied to, be insulted, or have hands laid on me, I don't do these things to others, and I expect the same from them.

Stupidity should be painful.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I started reloading in 1988 or so and used Bullseye and Unique. I still use Bullseye the most for just about everything from 9mm to 45 ACP. I just started to use up some IMR 700X that I got 10 lbs. of in a deal I got on some reloading equipment. It works fine too. Have any of you guys found a powder that burns REALLY clean with the 45 ACP and the 200 SWC lead load?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use bullseye for my .45 and 9mm loads. The 9mm stuff sure runs clean in a subgun. Just got a .357 to feed. Has anyone got any pet target loads for lead swc for a revolver?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Been using Bullseye forever. It's my first choice. Started dabbling in shotgun reloading the other year, now I keep some 700-X on hand. I can get the 700-X at the local shotgun club for under 11 bucks a pound, so I've been using quite a bit of it lately for 45 and 9mm.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

·
Registered
688 Posts
Originally posted by KLN:
3.5 of Bulleye in .38 cases is kind of standard -- about 850 fps with 158 lswc.

I use 3.5 Bullseye with 158 swcl in 357 cases. Works ok, no sign of over/under pressure or funky performance.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

·
Registered
259 Posts
I like Bullseye. A little goes a long way. I just bought 8lbs, so I should be set for a while.

I load lite .357's with 3.0 grains of Bullseye under a 158Gr lead SWC. I only run 4.0 grains in my .44 Mag with 240 lead SWC's. You may have to adjust your sights, though. The lighter the load the higher they seem to shoot, but they are fun.

·
Registered
206 Posts
In MOST 1911's, somewhere between 3.8 and 4.2 gr. of Bullseye you'll find that magical "one-hole" load! And they function my standard (16 lb.) recoil spring. OOOOOPS! That's with a H&G 68, 200 gr. SWC!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Still like bullseye.

My standard 45acp load is 4.8 grns of Bullseye, starline brass with cci300 primers to 1.270 COL. One of the very few loads I have memorized because I do it so often.

------------------
10mm and 357 Sig; the best things since the 38 Super!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bullseye has been my standard load for 15 plus years. I've tried others but always go back to my standard. However, I have recently been loading my 45ACP with VV310 and VV320 with some rather impressive results. It does, however, cost more than Bullseye. VV310 is very fast burning and burns very clean. Even in very light loads.

------------------
Chief

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use 5.2 grains of Bullseye with a 230 grain Golden Saber JHP with Winchester primers and mixed brass. The AOL is 1.235 and 2 thousand taper. Chronys 843 feet ave. 5.3 grains of Bullseye in this configuration chronys 873 feet ave. (875 ft. is factory spec for 230 grain Golden Saber BJHP).

Mark

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I like 3.0 gr Bullseye for most .380 loads
Don't load for 9mm but it would be my choice if I did. .357 gets 15.3 grs 2400 under a 158 gr LRN.

Sheldon:
700X works wonderfully in .45 ACP I'd have to go back to my notebooks but I had a load that put cloverleafs at 25 yards.

------------------
www.afn.org/~guns

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use Bullseye for all my pistol reloading. For one BIG REASON. COST. You get more rounds per pound of Bullseye than any other and since they all cost the same per pound(within 50 cents or so) then Bullseye is cheaper. That means I can shoot more for less.
I use it for 38sp, .357, 9mm and now 45acp. I use the same load for 38-9mm (3.4 grs) and am playing with that load for 45acp. Since I just started (1 week ago) with the 45acp and my SA 1911, I have to adjust the length and load to get them to feed as good as my 9mm. Since price means alot to me, I have been loading 250gr RN LEAD and it seems the shorter ones (1.3in or less) feed better. I just loaded 3 sets of 20 with 1.2, 1.19 and 1.25 to try Friday nite (my range nite).
Anyone out there have feed problems with RN lead (FMJ and SWC feed fine) at 1.3 in ?
Thanks

------------------
Dr. Bill

·
Registered
130 Posts
have used b'eye for 30 years in a multitude of pistol cart.
45/5gr./h+g #68 200 gr lead commercial brass/win lrg pistol primer

9mm/4.5 gr b'eye/115gr lead/comm.brass/win spp

40sw/4.3-5.0 gr/180 plated lead fp/comm.brass/win spp

38/2.7/148fbwc/comm.brass/win spp

DAMM GOOD POWDER !!!

------------------

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been using Bullseye since I started reloading (almost a year now). I've used it for .38/.357, 9mm, and now .45ACP. Just tried out some 200gr LSWCs over 4.2gr of Bullseye out of my Kimber today. Fun! If I'd taken my daughter to the range today, I probably couldn't have gotten the gun back from her...
I can live with that

CnL'd, I've used 4.3gr of Bullseye with a 158gr LSWC out of my wife's Taurus 608 (6 3/8"bbl), and they work great. For .38, I use 4.3gr of Bullseye.

Best,

-- John

·
Registered
691 Posts
Bullseye has been a very reliable and predictable performer for me. I'd choose something else for night shooting though...

4.4 - 5.3 grains bullseye (varies between IPSC, IDPA, Target, and Defense), 230 TCJ RN from Ranier Ballistics, 1.274 +/- .001 OAL, Remington or Winchester brass, Winchester Primers. Sorry, no Chrono info.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend." - Yasir Arrafat (On going to war over religion)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts