1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a Springfield MilSpec with severe mag issues.

I have 10 mags that I bought after I bought the gun, 6 USGI and 4 Colt mags. All of the mags bind at the rear corners when inserting them into the magwell. If I work at it, I can stuff the mag into the gun, but it also binds against the mag catch. I have to open the slide, and push the mag out with a long screwdriver (very carefully) The factory mag works fine, but is a llttle scarred up from the mag catch.

The Colt Mags will go in this far before I feel resistance

The USGI Mags will go in this far before I feel resistance

Here is the factory mag

Notice the wear above the witness hole.

The factory mag will not drop free either.

I took it to a fun store, and tried a few they had there, same story

Is this thing out of spec, or do I have 10 crappy mags?

Thanks,

Mr_Whiskerz

·
Registered
513 Posts
Try those 10 mags in a different 1911. Then compare your mag well to that of a similar gun and see if you can spot the problem. For a mag to hang that badly the problem will be visible to the eye once you do some comparing. If you don't have a gun to compare with, get yourself a colored magic marker and paint the magwell as completely as you can. When you insert the mag it will remove the marker ink where it rubs and make the spot that is dragging obvious. If this frame accepts the factory mag that came with the pistol, are you sure you are not trying to put .45 mags in a 9mm or vise versa? Not trying to be smart but I have seen people call for computer tech support when they forgot to plug in the computer. Simple things can be easily overlooked.

·
Registered
21,988 Posts
I can't see the mark on the magazine in the picture.
Does the mark line up to where it could be caused by the lower grip screw bushing protruding into the magazine well?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, It's where the mag catch hits it. I took the grips, screws, and bushings off, and they still bind.

Mr_Whiskerz

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Back to the factory, looks like a frame problem.

The chances of getting 10 bad mags, especially Colt-made is slim to none.

The frame is either out of spec, squashed, has some kind of defect from manufacture, or if it's used, somebody altered/damaged it.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Even with the proviso that all magazines that say "Colt" are not Colt, and all magazines sold as "GI" are not GI, I can't imagine that there is any magazine problem. I agree with Dfariswheel, the frame is defective.

The mark on the magazine is normal to a point, but if there is deep scratching it would mean a sharp edge on the magazine catch. Mention that also when asking the manufacturer for a UPS label to return the pistol. Also write a letter to enclose with the gun; don't depend on customer service to remember you.

Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

I bought some Mags from Midway..

3 Mec-Gar's

2 Sprinfield Factory

1 Midway OEM

All 7 rounders.

They all fit, and drop free, they are like buttah..... The mag that came with the gun won't do that...

I guess I won't be messing with crazy eBay bought mags again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts