1911Forum banner

Bumping up dry fire practice with airsoft

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  STX 
#1 · (Edited)
Over the past couple years my dry fire routine has dwindled to a couple times a year when switching from my warm season carry gun, a S&W m60 snub, to my cold season gun, a Colt 1911 Officer, because they are such different animals.

Since retirement last summer I decided to step up the dry fire routine to three/five times a week and concentrate on more than just smooth trigger pull.

During the great ammo shortage of 2013 I bought a Colt 1911 blowback airsoft to maintain my skills between diminishing range trips. Not the same as live fire by a long shot, but better than nothing.

I've also learned these last few months that it's better than dry fire alone, particularly when using a downloaded shot timer app on par time. Can't do it in the living room like I do dry fire, but I can staple paper plates on a cardboard box on my patio and practice for half an hour for less than 50¢ a session.

Anyone else use airsoft to supplement their training?

#2 ·
Interesting idea. I practice/carry primarily with Glocks and haven't found an airsoft (not that I've looked all that much) that properly replicates the trigger pull, so any practice on that end wouldn't be all that useful.

For a 1911, I could see it being potentially useful.

#4 ·
I use both quality blowback airsoft and pellet/BB guns. Made a huge difference in how I shot. Wife doesn't like my little balls though.

#5 ·
I have a gas powered M&P9 airsoft I've used for FoF training. It shoots very well, and replicates the weight, "feel" and trigger pull of a stock M&P9.

It's also great for running off stray cats, and squirrels from the bird feeders.

Appropriate protective gear is recommended, as the gas powered ones WILL make holes in unprotected skin, and could cause serious eye damage.

#6 ·
Airsoft/BB guns are lousy when it comes to replicating the feel of a real firearm as they're way too light and the trigger pulls are nothing like the originals. However their realistic manual of arms means that they are excellent for tactical training. I've mentioned here several times how when my wife is at work and I'm at home I've been known to practice draws from the holster, weapons handling and room-clearing with my Airsoft M1911A1. It also gives me an excuse to actually vacuum the carpet afterwards, both to catch errant BBs and make it look to the wife like I actually did something constructive during the day. :)

#7 ·
Airsoft/BB guns are lousy when it comes to replicating the feel of a real firearm as they're way too light and the trigger pulls are nothing like the originals.
That was my problem with it. And running out of gas too fast. I gave it a try when I ran Berettas and won't do it again.

#10 ·
I have airsoft USP Match and two 1911s. The 1911s have great slow roll triggers but the performance overall is disappointing. I scale the target bullseyes to approximate a 25 yd target but still do not get consistant performance from even the best BBs. For practice I've gone to single shot match grade air pistols.

#11 ·
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/713633/x-ring-rubber-bullets-38-caliber-357-to-358-diameter-box-of-50

I have been using these to practice in the basement with my wheel guns. Cardboard box with some old t-shirts inside makes a good target and catches the bullets to reuse again and again. I have been having fun with them. You do have to run a swab through the bore after every few cylinders, as primers are really dirty when there is no powder to burn all the crap off. I am getting 600+fps with good accuracy, and practicing with my actual firearm.

#12 ·
Like others have stated on here, I recently switched from airsoft to steel bb as well. The guns seem to be a little more well made and it also doubles as nice pest control when need be.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Blackwater_BW1911_R2_CO2_Pistol/3227

That one closely mimics my Operator. I even put my own grips on it and it also accepts my TLR-1 HL

#13 ·
This is my Colt licensed pellet pistol that I use for draw & fire drills around the house. Weighs in at 2 1/2 Lbs and fits my holsters quite well-great practice tool for maintaining muscle memory. I have some 2" thick polystyrene silhouettes that i take shots at from the bedroom down the hallway into the living room (when the wife's not around) It's cheap and keeps me in practice.

#14 ·
I like the looks of that Colt.

I have a Remington 1911 RAC co2 bb gun that has helped me a lot. The heft of the real thing, and the blowback makes practice more realistic. I widened out the rear sight, added grip tape to the front strap and swapped out the grips with some rubber Ruger grips.

I haven't tried any of the airsoft pistols. Maybe some day.....

#15 · (Edited)

Anyone else use airsoft to supplement their training?
Yes: during the worst of the ammo drought, I was reluctant to burn ammo I couldn't replace; therefore, increased use of AirSoft, pellets and lasers. Using several BB / bullet traps you can set up for target transitions. And even without BBs, shooting an AirSoft semi-auto "calling the shots" by sight picture is a lot more fun that completely dry fire.

For accuracy, 6mm plastic BBs like still air indoors. My WE 1911 AirSoft is accurate enough to take wasps out to 7 - 8m indoors: last Fall I killed about 50 wasps with it in the livingroom. But the BBs don't fly that straight in moving air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.