1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,572 Posts
Dogs are trained to varying degrees, or maybe not at all. I had a buddy that had a Belgian Malinois that was trained not to eat anything except what was given him by his owner. I cannot swear that he would not eat something tossed in the yard, but my buddy said he wouldn't. Obviously, my buddy's Belgin was way more trained than average and probably more than needed.

Grumpy

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've buffered many Auto Burglaries, but only a few HOME burglaries.

1st was a kid (his name was Robin ----real name, F him! ) ----- that I went to school with (7th grade) & we had hung out a few times. Our house started getting broken into by someone who stole Snack Pack Pudding Cups. I suspected Robin because he was always asking me to give him mine at school. Sure enough when my Mom & I went to confront him at his house there were a pile of the empty cans outside his bedroom window. He fessed up. His parents offered to pay.

Shortly after that Mom noticed that there was another missing item: Her 1800's Vintage Gold $20 coin (set in a necklace) , which was worth over $500 back then. We went to his house again. He turned white & big-eyed when we told him the value of the coin. A true (oh crap!) moment. Difference was that THIS TIME his parents, who had accepted his guilty plea on the pudding, now circled the wagons. They said that their kid (the admitted thief) would NOT have taken the coin. So that's the limit of their willingness to compensate.

I bet the punk had swapped it for candy or a Mad Magazine , with zero idea of it's value.

2nd was the boyfriend of one of my roommates. After she dumped him he came to the house & vandalized her room, stealing things & writing on the walls & such. He broke my room's door & took a CB radio and my work boots. What an idiot.

Last was at my prior house 15 years ago. Some creep ninja'd into my open garage and stole a bike & my bolt cutters. This was embarrassing because I was taking a car-repair break, near my open front door, eating a sandwich at the time! That's pretty bold.

--------------------------- Maybe it was that bastard Robin again! :LOL:

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Now I also had a situation where I caught a car thief, at gunpoint. However, the crook hadn't actually taken my car yet, so I can't call it a true burglary. But I DID keep his flashlight.

Thievery can go both ways.

·
Registered
255 Posts
An officer who worked for an old friend and mentor, who told me the story, kept his service revolver on his night table. His apartment was hit by a cat burglar while he was sleeping. When he woke, he had been burglarized, small valuables, his & wife's wallets, etc. A piece of paper had been rolled and stuck in the revolver barrel, "Bang, you are dead!". I keep a pistol on the night table, big dogs on the bedroom floor. A cautionary tale!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
We all have made steps to protect ourselves from burglars (namely being armed)
Just to be clear, if you are home, it's considered robbery, not burglary.

Burglary is stealing from an unoccupied structure.
Robbery is stealing using the threat of physical force.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My buddy D. and his girl (I don't remember if they were married yet) were sleeping in their downstairs apartment. She woke up screaming because some perp was feeling her up. The creep ran out, and additionally, her purse was missing from the kitchen.

D. did not wake up until PD was in the room. They asked what the rifle in the corner was for. He quietly answered ".............protection"

She never let him live that one down.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
My female Pit Bull (85lbs) was acting weird and kept going to the back door. Coming back looking at me and making a soft growl. I cracked the back door open, and she went airborne like Superman. There was a loud blood curdling scream. It was illegal alien (Undocumented POS) gone into my back yard at night and picking the lemons off the tree. The bag of lemons flew up into the air along with a body. The body got halfway over the fence and rolled into the next yard. The screaming persisted for a few more minutes then faded away. The dog had a pants leg in her mouth. No more lemon pickers since.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Funny that note about the master bedroom though. It would be a pretty neat trick to get into our master bedroom without a pretty good amount of time and the proper tools. View attachment 644023
From looking at your picture - All they need to do is bust the window and they are inside in a heartbeat.

No tools required other than a big rock or a small hammer. :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Speaking of which, it's also important to think about burglary protection WHILE you're home. Especially during the summer months people tend to leave their doors and windows unlocked or wide open, and John Q. Scumbag could easily sneak in while you're on the crapper or busy making a sammich in the kitchen.

I pay good money to have my alarm system monitored and I USE it even when home. If not actively coming in or going out - It is in 'STAY' mode and has a zero delay (in that mode) if a sensor is tripped.

Does no good to have an alarm if you do not USE it (arm it).

FWIW - The Alarm Company yard sign out front and the little window stickers with their logo do not match the actual brand of my home alarm I have for a good reason. If a pro KNOWS exactly what sort of alarm you have - You just made it that much more easy for them to do some homework and figure out if it has any inherent weaknesses that they can exploit. Bad idea in my opinion. Let the crook figure it out after it is too late and the the police are on the way...

If for whatever reason I did somehow forgot to arm the alarm and was on the crapper and a thief decided to break in - I would wish him 'good luck' with the girls -

If I am home, so are they and they despise strangers in, around or near their property. :)

Bad guy 'might' be able to wrestle one for a minute but no way he is going to fight off a pair. While he is trying to watch the one in front of him the other will be coming around to take a chunk out of his backside. (have seen that exact thing happen before)

Same thing with respect to the car. Good luck to any criminal that thinks he is going to reach in there and start grabbing whatever without any 'problems'...

Between the alarm system, myself most likely being armed (if my pants and belt are on - I am armed) or very near to a firearm, and 180lbs worth of dogs around that despise intruders, I feel pretty good about my odds. The local police station being literally on the same street as me and less than a 1/4 mile down is just icing on the cake. If not for a slight hill in the road I could see the station from my front yard.

A few other tips -

People do not want to steal stuff they do not know about. None of my neighbors have any idea what I have going on inside my home and I plan to keep it that way. MY business is MY business and none of theirs... I can be 'sociable' without telling them more than they need to know and there is plenty that neighbors just don't 'need' to know. Got a huge guns and ammo stockpile? Keep it to yourself and don't advertise it to every neighbor you have regardless of how 'friendly' you think they may be. The less they know - The better.

Those goofy phone apps that track crime in your area? Are a joke... They show 'reported' crime and nothing more. They won't tell you squat about unreported crime or point out potentially fishy neighbors you may have that are simply keeping a low profile... My mom has one of those goofy apps on her phone and recently told me she looked up my neighborhood / house and was telling me how 'safe' my area was. After I got done laughing my butt off - I asked her if that app showed her the half-way house near me for 'recovering' (my butt) drug addicts, or the house a few down from that one that belongs to the neighborhood dope man? He 'app' told her nothing about that garbage near me but I KNOW better (and I am not counting on any stupid phone app for my neighborhood 'info').

Hope some of this helped someone in this community, You guys stay safe out there...

ETA - If anyone has any questions about bait training dogs (training them to NOT accept any sort of bait) and wants any pointers / tips feel free to ask. Been there and done that with more than one pair of Dobermans.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Strychnine can only be used lawfully on Pocket Gophers and is not particularly common or easy to get. Poisoned Pocket Gophers most often die underground and are not accessible to dogs. Effects on a dog from eating a rodent poisoned with legal mouse or rat poison can be serious but vary greatly due to a variety of factors. Treated, it is rarely fatal. I have big dogs, and the vet told me not to worry about it, but to check in if I felt there was an issue.
Criminals never act lawfully or limit themselves to using things that are 'lawful' as they do what they do...

I keep 'just in case' supplies like this at home, work and in the truck for 'just in case' reasons.

If I know for sure that any dog of mine just ate some stuff that I did not give them / allow and I want it back out of them... I am getting it back out quickly and before it can do them any harm.

A few ounces down the gullet will empty out even a big dog in a hurry.

Dog in picture was a PITA when she was a younger. Can't remember if that picture was from her 'returning' the half tennis ball , the (temporarily) missing wing nuts that went on my tumbler or something else. That bitch swallowed a lot of stuff she was not supposed to before she finally learned the rules around here.

Dog was never allowed to 'keep' any of it and learned that 'returning' stolen items was not as fun as just taking them without permission.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Something came to mind… someone I know dropped one of their CBD gummies on the floor, and their 24 pound dog ate it before they could get it. Once it kicked in, the dog was extremely lethargic for the remainder of the day. She didn’t even want to hold her head up. She wobbled when she walked. They took her to the vet, who said she was just very high and would probably be fine. The next day she was normal. I don’t know if criminals know this or not. They don’t have to kill your dog, just get it to eat a handful of gummies, and your dog is probably gonna be out of commission. That is if they are willing to wait a couple hours for your dog's head to get bad.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
For peace of mind I have my Homeowners policy scheduled for guns and jewelry. Of course we have taken the normal precautions, when we are home. Guns and jewelry are locked in a safe but should the defeat the safe and make away with my collection at least I will be able to replace them.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I've lived in some rough areas. Different Countries, different States, different Cities.

Living in the Philippines was really instructive.
If you lived near any of the major bases, the theft rate was incredible.

So there's some things that I've learned that I keep in place in our home.

We keep windows and doors locked.

Front Storm Door? Locked. Front Door? Steel Door, Steel Frame, Locked with an additional Keyed Only Deadbolt. Keys in my pocket or wifes pocket.
Back door into garage? Steel Door, Steel Frame, Locked with an additional Keyed Only Deadbolt
Back door from garage into yard? Steel Door, Steel Frame, Locked with an additional Keyed Only Deadbolt. Motion Detecting Flood Light above back garage door.
Garage doors? Security mounted openers so that it's more difficult to trip them open with a wire hook.
Bedroom Door? Locked at night when we're in bed asleep.
Been married 31 years to a woman who's learned to always tell me "Dear I'm getting up" if she's going to the bathroom or such.

Armed? There's always something either on me or within reach.

All firearms not in my direct possession are kept locked in the safes in the safe room, locked with a steel door in a steel frame, with an additional keyed only deadbolt, inside the loading room, that is locked with a steel door in a steel frame with an additional keyed only deadbolt.

Doors are kept locked and secured unless we're immediately present.

Sitting here right now with tv on, getting ready to watch 2000 Mules.

Front door is open, but Storm Door is locked and .45acp 1911 within easy reach.

Shed has motion detector light and keyed deadbolt lock on steel door and key locked steel overhead door. The Shed light backdrops my entire back yard, and so does the back door light.
It's fun watching raccoons, possums, skunks, armadillo's and an occasional deer get startled when the lights come on and it's suddenly daylight bright in the back yard.

I also have a bunch of retired neighbors that are just nosy enough to be good neighbors.

We all watch out for each other.

We have a "Block Call List".

Used it just the other day to check with a Neighbor that had a White Service Type Van in the driveway when I know he's Usually at work.

He thanked me for double checking, it as an HVAC guy he'd let in, and then gone back to work.

HVAC guy stopped at my house and to tell me he'd locked up, and that the owner had let him know he was being watched.

About that time, the local PD showed up. One of the other Neighbors had called it in to get it checked out since the van was unmarked and not an in county plate.

Out driving around in our town on our golf cart, I've counted our 5 local Cops including Chief, 4 Sheriffs Deputies, three Cops from nearby towns, and a Game Warden, all living in our little town of 2,000 about a mile square.

A couple of nights ago, the paper delivery guy was a bit earlier than his typical late night/early morning delivery, and driving a different car than I'm used to seeing.
I called it in to 911.
PD pulls the guy over, and his wife who's with him, calls me (I have their number for delivery issues) and asks if I'll vouch for them to the Officer.
I hang up and the Officer is on the line, verifying this is the usual Delivery Guy.

Both the HVAC Guy and Paper Delivery Guy think they want to move to our town as it's nice, quiet, and obviously fairly secure.

Do thefts happen here? Sure.
Do they happen often? Nope.

All in all, we're as Prepared as is reasonably possible.

If threat levels increase, we'll bunker down further.

Reactions: anglo-american
21 - 40 of 46 Posts