1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke in my 2001 SST fullsize loaded like I've read for rifles...Clean all the copper fouling out after every shot for 10 shots, then after every 2 shots for another 10 shots (whew, hard to do). After 7 shots there was very little copper visible in the grooves of the barrel. My first 5 shot group was 1-1/2 inches at 25 yards with S&B 230 ball. Win white box 230 ball and Federal HydraShoks also shoot into 1-1/2 inch at 25 yards off the bench. WinClean 230 TC was 3 [email protected] yd. Hope this will minimize fouling with lead bullets in the future.....

However, I have had several FTF with the factory mags. A CMC Power Mag and a Wilson 10 rd mag do better. The HydraShok does best. Win white box 230 ball does OK. WinClean 230 truncated cone is the worst. When loading the gun, the first round often will not feed with the factory mags. The top of the feed ramp has no radius, almost sharp. The FTF rounds have a a dent where the "sharp" edge of the feed ramp appears to dig in to the brass. Federal HydraShok nickel case may be the reason they do better. 250 rounds total so far...

Will call SA tomorrow about the FTF.

------------------

·
Registered
541 Posts
MD,I don't think you have s real problem. my new loaded did the same thing but at about 400rds. it cleared up and haven't had any more problems (500 more rds)

·
Registered
403 Posts
The top of the feed ramp is not supposed to be radiused. The chamber of the barrel needs a gentle radius to prevent binding during feeding.
-Sparks

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Originally posted by Sparks:
The top of the feed ramp is not supposed to be radiused. The chamber of the barrel needs a gentle radius to prevent binding during feeding.
-Sparks
Im with sparks here. Radius the entrence to the chamber where the case rolls over.
I also use some reallllly fine paper, 1200 wraped around a smooth bic pen. Polish the top inside of the chamber(roof if you will). This helps the rounds to roll over. Than turn around and polish the bolt face. If it is rough the back of the case will not slide up the bolt face. SLIGHTLY polishing the firing pin hole will keep the edge from catching the hole, but only slightly. (as springfield went to the small pin this has helped a lot)
hope this helps
geo ><>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The barrel seems to have a nice radius in the throat. The brass that FTF has a dent on the under side, so it is not hanging up on the upper side of the barrel.

I talked to Springfield today and Lisa was very pleasant and gave me a Return Authorization number and their shippers number to pay for the shipping. I will forward one of the cases that FTF with a description of problem.

Thanks for the quick suggestions/replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts