1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past two weeks, i have had both my Kimber Warrior and Kimber Eclipse go into burst fire while at the range. I've owned both these pistols for a year and have been great.

Kimber Warrior
-------------------
Dropped in a new Kimber aluminum trigger and shot 300+ rounds fine, then it started going into burst fire my 3rd trip to the range. Gave it to the gun smith and he noticed that the edge of the sear was chewed up. He blamed it on a bad part. This is working fine now.

Kimber Eclipse
-------------------
Just yesterday put in a Wilson tungsten guide rod (love it!) and took it to the range. About 40 rounds into it... burst fire. Im going to order a new sear and all new bullet proof wilson parts me thinks.

I suppose I am posting this to see perhaps if these malfunctions and damage could have been done by me. Could I be doing damage by holding the trigger too hard after firing? Im left scratching my head because both these pistols work great and within two weeks they started to go into burst fire. I know there is a lot that can be said about Irish fury, but this is ridiculous.

Perhaps if anyone can suggest other parts to replace while i am at it-- I was thinking at least the sear and slidestop

·
Registered
372 Posts
My Custom II had one chain-fire, two rounds on one trigger pull, and I sent it in to Kimber. I have a recent thread regardign my experiences with Kimber so you can get up to speed on it there. Kimber replaced my Sear among other things. I'm hitting the range tomorrow to try it out.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
You need a trigger jog. A good start is replacing the sear, but you might as well replace the hammer and disconnector as well. Many replacement parts, such as C&S are harder than the MIM parts and the repail just won't last as long. No, you did not do anything to cause this, it is wear from use. By the way I have a gun with about 30,000 rounds through it and one trigger job done when Richard Heinie built the gun, C&S parts. This work may also necessitate refitting or replacing the thumb safety.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Could I be doing damage by holding the trigger too hard after firing?
No.
Though for one person to get 2 kimbers that both go auto might be considered an unusual co-incidence...
Did you bend any springs when you fit the new trigger ?

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
There's some sear damage in there. Did you do a detail strip and mess with them?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I’ve been “told” that repeatedly letting the hammer down slowly i.e. uncocking the gun without firing it, can lead to sear damage. I don’t know if this is true, but if it is perhaps that offers an explanation???

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I’ve been “told” that repeatedly letting the hammer down slowly i.e. uncocking the gun without firing it, can lead to sear damage. I don’t know if this is true, but if it is perhaps that offers an explanation???
If you look in the Kimber owners manual, it warns about that. Specifically using the "half cock" which is not a half cock at all, but a safety not meant to be manually used.

·
Registered
743 Posts
In the past two weeks, i have had both my Kimber Warrior and Kimber Eclipse go into burst fire while at the range. I've owned both these pistols for a year and have been great.

Kimber Warrior
-------------------
Dropped in a new Kimber aluminum trigger and shot 300+ rounds fine, then it started going into burst fire my 3rd trip to the range. Gave it to the gun smith and he noticed that the edge of the sear was chewed up. He blamed it on a bad part. This is working fine now.

Kimber Eclipse
-------------------
Just yesterday put in a Wilson tungsten guide rod (love it!) and took it to the range. About 40 rounds into it... burst fire. Im going to order a new sear and all new bullet proof wilson parts me thinks.

I suppose I am posting this to see perhaps if these malfunctions and damage could have been done by me. Could I be doing damage by holding the trigger too hard after firing? Im left scratching my head because both these pistols work great and within two weeks they started to go into burst fire. I know there is a lot that can be said about Irish fury, but this is ridiculous.

Perhaps if anyone can suggest other parts to replace while i am at it-- I was thinking at least the sear and slidestop
A heads up here! If a Federal Firearm guy is there getting in practice and he observes this, you will definitely be arrested and charged with possesion of an automatic weapon. It has happened. Just a word to the wise.

Ren

·
Registered
587 Posts
My Kimbers have done that....when I let 'em get real dirty inside. If I clean 'em regular and keep 'em clean this problem doesn't occur. Dennis

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have not shot mine but about 250 rounds, but I have not had a burstfire yet and hope it stays that way. I have a glock that has done it twice through about 6,000 rounds through it. Has people heard of a ton of kimber's burstfiring? Is this something that I should be worried about?:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
summerford, i think my over travel screw was screwy -- put a new sear in there and everything is fine so far.

Love my Kimbers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts