1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After shooting the Steel Challenge last weekend, I've decided to finally build my Kimber into an open gun. I bought an Optima 2000 a while ago for a good price, and I am on EGW's waiting list for the mount and a S/A mag-well blend job. I have been thinking of having them install a bushing compensator, as I cannot yet afford the standard type. I figure that this will be an inexpensive way for me to see if I like this whole race-gun thing or if I should just stick with iron sights.

Is there anything particlarly bad about bushing comps? I'm sure they don't work quite as well as a regular one but do they work? Is it worth the money or should I save for a barrel-mounted one?

Thanks for the help everyone!

SFB

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If your talking about one that replaces the barrel bushing, save your money,don't do it. you'll save money in the long run by having them install a regular comp on it. trust me, if you buy a bushing comp, within a month you'll wish you went the whole 9 yards.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
For a comp to work correctly the muzzle opening should be a little bigger than the bullet fired. With a bushing comp the opening a little bigger that the barrel and a lot bigger that the bullet. Less restriction and deflection of the gasses.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
484 Posts
Having been there, done that, I would suggest that if you truly want an effective compensator, have one installed on your bbl. or try one of the Nowlin kits. They are very good. That being said, I would also suggest that if you want an open gun to find some people with open guns, high cap, single stack 38supers, 9x23, etc and politely tell them you are trying to decide what to get. I'll imagine they will be all over you to try their gun and see what you think. By shooting a variety of guns you might find something that jumps out at you first. This will possibly save you time and a lot of money. good luck on your search. Regards, DougC

------------------
front sight is good, front sight is good!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts