1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been hearing for a while that installing a better barrel bushing will normally give the pistol better accuracy. I was wondering if the Fullsized Gov't Bushing by EGW that Brownells sells would be a drop in piece, not requiring any gunsmithing for a SA GI.

If it is in fact drop in, then I think a new bushing and a Wolf 18# recoil spring would be two nice, and affordable upgrades to the GI.

Many thanks.

Jake

·
Registered
647 Posts
As a general rule, drop in parts need enough clearance (so as not to require fitting) that accuracy is not optimal. If your accuracy is really poor, SA will fix it for you (they did for me). If your accuracy is already average (say, sub 4" groups at 25 yards), then I would not expect improvements from drop in parts.

Of course, YMMV.

·
Registered
647 Posts
There's not much point in changing to a heavier recoil spring unless a) your empties are not just getting tossed far away, they are going into another time zone, b) your slide doesn't return FULLY to battery, and the problem is just insufficient velocity (with me, the slide was fit so tightly to the frame, the 18.5# spring was needed), or c) you are shooting overpowered rounds (stuff loaded to +P or beyond).

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Jake,
I bought the MGW drop-in bushing from brownells (around $14.00). It is a slip fit into the slide of SA guns. Also will fit barrel well. If your barrel is a one-piece stainless one that is installed on some Milspecs (I highly doubt the GI's come with this), then the fit on the barrel will be slip fit also.

When you install the bushing, you may just need to take a little bit of metal from the area of the bushing that contacts the recoil spring plug. Very easy to do with a dremel tool.

Many forum members have found the MGW to work well, and it is their recommendations that prompted me to use this brand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.