1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else here having any issue with what I'll describe as an excessively tight bushing to slide fit? I've already trashed the spring plug, its fine, just not as pretty as it was. Not a complaint. Gun's a shooter and my carry.

I've tried very hard for "one hand" manipulation. I'm 67, nuff said!

Getting back to the bushing, I've had it off already once. Had to find the minute position to wriggle it out of the slide little by little using fingernail power.

Todays second disassembly for cleaning, the bushing is being a pain to find its way out.

I'm from the school of "nothing should be forced" thinking. I'm not a gunsmith by any means, but I'm no hack.
This has become hard work (tidiest) to clean and hard on my poor little fingernails!

Started working on it about an hour ago. I'll go back and continue trying to find the sweet spot for wriggling.

I'm throwing this out there for any informative info or funny stories. I know some sort of criticism will be offered. But I'll bet there are more of you out there that shoot and clean these high dollar firearms that will relate.

FWIW:
Bushing is under no spring tension (spring assembly removed).
Barrel slides freely through the bushing.
Gun not purchased with the hard fit option.
And I know the counterclockwise position the bushing needs to be in for removal.

998 :geek:

·
Registered
302 Posts
If it's a 1911 my better target guns are like that. Once the bushing is in the correct place I use the barrel to pop it out. If you wont it looser put some dye on the bushing and install and work it back and fourth. you can see where to remove a little metal from the bushing. Also you can measure the bushing and order one .001 smaller. That would be a good time to check the barrel to bushing fit if it needs to be a different size.

·
Registered
110 Posts
its legal to use the barrel as a 'slide hammer' to help tap out the bushing. stopping and thinking a bit more is always a good plan. signed, mr. impatient.
This is your answer. Once you get the recoil spring and guide rod out of the gun and turn the bushing (with the bushing wrench) to the removal position, gently tapping it with the barrel will remove it. That’s how I’ve been getting mine out and it’s not causing any issues.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
One came with the gun. With some small effort it moves the bushing clockwise and counter. It doesn't pull the bushing out of the slide.
Next time, I'll use best.45,s suggestion.
When you mentioned that you had trasned the spring plug, I figured you had not been able to hold it down properly and turn the bushing. That was the reason I suggested a bushing wrench.
When you are removing or reinstalling the bushing, you might want to try to rotate it a bit as it is going in or coming out and perhaps wear off the parts that are sticking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone else here having any issue with what I'll describe as an excessively tight bushing to slide fit? I've already trashed the spring plug, its fine, just not as pretty as it was. Not a complaint. Gun's a shooter and my carry.

I've tried very hard for "one hand" manipulation. I'm 67, nuff said!

Getting back to the bushing, I've had it off already once. Had to find the minute position to wriggle it out of the slide little by little using fingernail power.

Todays second disassembly for cleaning, the bushing is being a pain to find its way out.

I'm from the school of "nothing should be forced" thinking. I'm not a gunsmith by any means, but I'm no hack.
This has become hard work (tidiest) to clean and hard on my poor little fingernails!

Started working on it about an hour ago. I'll go back and continue trying to find the sweet spot for wriggling.

I'm throwing this out there for any informative info or funny stories. I know some sort of criticism will be offered. But I'll bet there are more of you out there that shoot and clean these high dollar firearms that will relate.

FWIW:
Bushing is under no spring tension (spring assembly removed).
Barrel slides freely through the bushing.
Gun not purchased with the hard fit option.
And I know the counterclockwise position the bushing needs to be in for removal.

998 :geek:
Remove the bushing, fit over a tapered wood dowel.
Wrap the dowel at the tighter end with 400 grit slowly twist the bushing around it while you watch a movie or whatever.
Took me about a week and got a perfect fitting bushing. Increased the accuracy quite a bit.
Be patient....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts