1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm buying a Kimber Custom Clasic over the net, now the gun has a Marvel cone type barrel , to make it IDPA legal i have to use a regular barrel. Is it posible to change back? or is the slide modified. I have not seen the gun yet, I should be getting it next week..
This will be my first 1911, i think it's a big step up from my Glock-17

Thanks
Mark

[This message has been edited by mark095 (edited 07-29-2001).]

·
Registered
75 Posts
It depends on how much it has been fired. The full size guns were not meant to use this type of barrel. If it has been shot a lot, the groove that retains the bushing might have wear on it. This could prevent a new bushing from working. I hope you are getting a good deal on this. I would buy a gun that is IDPA legal to begin with to avoid any dissappointments.

·
Registered
21,980 Posts
It should be possible to return to a bushing barrel, the Marvel cone does not require recutting the nose of the slide. If it were lapped in, the ID of the slide could have been enlarged enough to call for a considerably oversize bushing. This may well get into a gunsmith job to get a good fit. You will also likely require a new recoil spring plug, one with the little protrusion that locks the bushing. I hope you got a good www deal, this ain't going to be cheap. Check at your local IDPA club, they might let the cone slide. I would.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe someone would check this out for me at GunsAmerica item # 976125861 he said he would take 800.00 for it.
What sucks is that i live in the Banana Republik of Massachusetts and i can only buy a gun that was manufactured before Oct. 1998
as all the newer ones are not MA. complient.
I would realy like to buy a Gold Match, or a top of the line Kimber but it has to be used.
This will be the first 1911 i have ever bought, and who knows the way the liberals are in Boston it might be my only 1911 ever
bought, so i want to make it a good one...

Mark

·
Registered
21,980 Posts
A lot of features for the money. But you are right, it is not an IDPA gun as it is. It's a dumb rule, but still a rule.
If that is your main use, I'd say to back out of the deal and keep looking. Unless you know a reliable gunsmith and are willing to sink another $200-$300.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guys at the club are willing to look the other way when i use it in IDPA. also i want it for a nice carry gun.. By the looks of it and all the features it has, do you think it's worth it? also theres a 1 week ispection
i can have a smith look it over..

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
21,980 Posts
As I said, a lot of features for the money if well done. Use the week for a gunsmith's inspection and testfire if they will let you or if you think you can get away with it. I figured the club wouldn't care about the cone barrel. You can replace it later for state and national matches after the purchase price has worked its way through the budget.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Does this pistol have other features that you want? Otherwise, why not buy a stock pistol?

[This message has been edited by Denbo (edited 07-29-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
It looks like a good deal. Grab it and have it checked and shoot it. If it's what it's supposed to be...you're good to go. You can always buy another later...Don't pass a good deal just to get somethin' you can get anywhere anytime...like a stock pistol...Go to some of the smiths' pages and check what that level of work would cost you and compare for yourself. 600 for a base pistol, a nicely done mag well and bull barrel with action job and Black-T...I think you already know it's a good deal don't you?
As long as you don't have to pay to return it, you can't really lose with an inspection deal like that can you? Besides...if you've already won the bid, you've bought it haven't you?
Let us know...I'm curious to see how this turns out now!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

[This message has been edited by gyp_c (edited 08-03-2001).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the gun yesterday, I'M IN LOVE!
It's beautiful. I got up in the middle of the night last night just to look at it again.. I'll realy test it out this Sunday theres a PPC shoot i'll put a couple hundred through it... i'll give you an update on how it shoots..

·
Registered
9 Posts
And I thought that I was the only one waking up in the middle of the night thinking about guns. Guess others are affected by the same disease as I have. In retrospect, they are wonderful dreams. Enjoy your new addition. Russell

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put 150 rounds through it today..
FLAWLESS, what a tack driver. Im used to shooting my Glock, I never knew i could shoot so good. Using a IDPA target at 15 yards all shoots were in 2" groups, i din't need much tape for the holes
Bench resting my Glock17 i could'nt get groups like that..
Needless to say i'll be using the Kimber in upcoming IDPA matches. Now i'll be shooting in CDP division as novice..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts