1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been leaning towards the purchase of the Compact Stainless. The specifications indicate that Kimber uses a bushingless barrel. My question is. Is a bushingless barrel just as accurate as one with bushings? Does the accuracy of a bushingless barrel degrade with age and use? Are there advantages to a bushingless barrel? Thanks. Russell

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by ragceg:
I have been leaning towards the purchase of the Compact Stainless. The specifications indicate that Kimber uses a bushingless barrel. My question is. Is a bushingless barrel just as accurate as one with bushings? Does the accuracy of a bushingless barrel degrade with age and use? Are there advantages to a bushingless barrel? Thanks. Russell
The Compact is my favorite format... Probably easiet to conceal, and shoot well.

Bushingless barrels are fairly accurate, and will tend to lock up tightly, though when wear begins on the "bearing surface" of the muzzle/slide, it just starts to loosen, and there is not much hope in tightening it up, like their is with a Bushed barrel.

You options can be limited in barrel replacements, and each barrel maker doesn't make a direct replacement, while bushed barrels offer many more choices.

Some feel that the added weight aids in recoil management, helping provide quicker follow up shot recovery... Also, some feel that the absence of the bushing may be one less broken part.

Personally, it's a wash... I still prefer the 4.25" Commander with a Bushed barrel or a 4" Bull Barrel, but that is me...

·
Registered
645 Posts
If the barrel to slide fit got sloppy enough to affect accuracy in a bushingless pistol(this would take an awful lot of shooting), the "Accu-Lock" reverse plug could be fit to tighten up the lock up again. This part is avalailable from Brownells.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Originally posted by banjobart:
If the barrel to slide fit got sloppy enough to affect accuracy in a bushingless pistol(this would take an awful lot of shooting), the "Accu-Lock" reverse plug could be fit to tighten up the lock up again. This part is avalailable from Brownells.
Who makes this part and what page if it's in the catalog?
Tanks

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Bull barrels are plenty accurate. Actually they have a higher accuracy potential because they stay locked up a little longer than the bushed barrel.

Take a look at the accuracy of a compact Wilson CQB or Dane Burns' grey ghost.

You'd have a hard time wearing it out. There's a lot of bearing area around that barrel compared to a standard bushing.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have an Ultra CDP with its 3+" bushingless barrel. As far as accurate it will easily shoot 2" for 7 rounds at 20 yards from a sand bag rest.

I'd go with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts