1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bushmaster refuses to load a second round into the chamber, it spits out the spent round, then nothing, ive tried several magazines and it isnt working...any clues lol

·
Registered
297 Posts
Is the fired round extracting?

Is the bolt trying to strip the next round from the magazine?

Is the bolt not coming back far enough to strip the next round?

Have you properly lubed the rifle?

What type of ammo are you using?

Have you checked the gas key to see if its loose?

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I'm not an AR armorer, but Steve mentioned a couple of key things. But #1, what kind of ammo. #2 Check the gas key to see if it's loose.(this would be my guess for short cycling issues) #3 and again, like Steve said, are you running your AR wet with lube. Most fellas that shoot a lot of rounds through their AR's run them wet.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the fired round extracting? Yes

Is the bolt trying to strip the next round from the magazine? it shuts over top and closes but doesnt pick up the next round. i have tried a few different magazines

Is the bolt not coming back far enough to strip the next round? hard to tell, its flicking the spent round out.

Have you properly lubed the rifle? yes lubed, but not to the point of being a bad thing,

What type of ammo are you using? Wolf.

Have you checked the gas key to see if its loose? gas key??

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ALSO! i have used a spikes tactical 22 drop in kit for around 3-500 rounds but i put a 223 through it after every 100 shot like i was told to when i bought it

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Definitely sounds like your BM is short stroking.

The gas key is what is bolted and staked to the top of your bolt carrier. See if that is loose.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
just a quick one off

is to check your recoil/buffer spring. I had a HD one installed one mine that would short stroke each time.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
darkside- did you understand DP's description of the gas key? Your BM may not be staked. Or staked incorrectly. Pretty common on BM's. Easy to fix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm no expert, but my Bushmaster would not cycle Wolf at all. It has no problems feeding anything else. Something about the laquer coating on the Wolf.

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
I'm no expert, but my Bushmaster would not cycle Wolf at all. It has no problems feeding anything else. Something about the laquer coating on the Wolf.
I've heard other BM owners say the same thing. I shoot wolf all the time in my DEL-TON with no issues. I don't see how the laquer coating can affect BM's so much more than the other AR's out there, but anything is possible.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I've shot 1000s of rounds of Wolf through my Bushy, but like a 1911 some may not like certain ammo.

BTW- Wolf changed from lacquer coating to the new poly coat years ago, because of issues in ARs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've shot 1000s of rounds of Wolf through my Bushy, but like a 1911 some may not like certain ammo.

BTW- Wolf changed from lacquer coating to the new poly coat years ago, because of issues in ARs.
I must have bought some old Wolf then, I bought 5 boxes last year to try on my BM right after break-in and my BM absolutely hates it...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
i have been told the wolf ammo might be a light batch, wolf is offering to refund it. im going to check the other parts later tonight. its weird, i usually only shoot wolf and the gun has less than 1k rounds through it so who knows lol atleast my 1911's eat everything:biglaugh:

Checked everything, nothing is loose :( interesting though, i never knew they had so many issues

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I must have bought some old Wolf then, I bought 5 boxes last year to try on my BM right after break-in and my BM absolutely hates it...
Maybe I should have said a few years ago :biglaugh:

The box should say "poly coat" if not then don't buy it :)

Checked everything, nothing is loose :( interesting though, i never knew they had so many issues
ARs can be moody, especially if you don't have the knowledge base on what too look for. This is one reason IMO that ARs are so polarizing. You either love them or hate them.

There are so dang many of them out there with such a wide range of quality it can be hard at times. Quite like a 1911 :)

Wolf ammo is 223 Remington lite. ARs were designed to run on 5.56mm NATO which is considerably hotter than 223 and unless your rifle is set up properly it can spell trouble.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
are you sure it's not because the wolf is not loaded to as high a pressure as other factory loads?

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Provided the gas key is staked, the gas rings are ok, there are no bends or obsturctions in the gas tube and all other parts apear to be ok. And provided you're lubing it properly with a good lube. I'd say it sounds like it's the ammo. Wolf is fairly low presure stuff. Try some other brands, maybee some stuff loaded to 5.56 nato specs. If thats the problem you could always get an extra buffer spring and trim a few coils and make it a Wolf only spring. Your other option would be to open up the gas port a bit, but I'd see how it does with 5.56mm stuff the gun was designed for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a armorer for the army and 9/10 times when someone bring me their M-4 for failure to cycle its either proper lubrication, weapon is not clean, bad ammo, or magazines (which you said you have tried several differen ones). Those are the most common reasons that you might wanna start with, if it still doesnt work here are sme more things you wanna check out. frozen extractor, broken extractor spring, restricted buffer assembly, restricted movement of bolt carrier group. This is straight out of the TM so if you still are having problems with it after that shoot me and email and i will give you more in depth directions of what you could do.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Is your Bushmaster brand-new? I had one years ago, and discovered it was very tight and needed a break in. At first I took the rifle back to the indoor range where I purchased it, complaining that it was jamming all the time. The salesman field-stripped it, doused everything in lube, reassembled it, then took it and a fully loaded mag with him into the range. Minutes later I heard a loud BRAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!, then he came back into the shop telling me it was fixed. Sure enough, it shot flawlessly after that.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
its over a year old but has under 1k rounds. the ammo def seems to be an issue...wish i had known that before order 500 rounds lol. aw well live and learn.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts