1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about getting the Magpul buttstock for my full-size -A2 rifle. Any experience or opinion on the Magpul.

·
Super Moderator
7,637 Posts
I have both the UBR, MOE rifle and PRS on most of my builds.

Excellent stocks. Well built and well thought out.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The Magpul MOE fixed stock is a good product. Mine is an older model and has the trapdoor on the side. The new ones have a more traditional butt entry, which I think might be better, as long as it doesn’t open accidentally.

I would chose it over the A2 Buttstock for several reasons #1: it has a rubber type butt plate, and will be less likely to slide if you set the rifle propped up against something. The A2 is plastic. #2 it has a whole bunch of options for QD sling swivels. You do have to buy the QD stud thingies, I installed all of them and have use everyone of them sometime or another. You also gotta have a QD sling swivel. #3 Price - it is a good value and solid as a rock, I have not babied mine in the least. #4 if you want to add a monopod on the rear of the stock it is ready for that installation. #5 color options.

Good luck, hope you find what you want.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Most of my experience with Magpul buttstocks are their collapsible carbine models since around 2008, MOE, CTR, STR and SL. Well designed, high quality and durable.

I had tried my friends MOE and PRS fixed stocks and felt they were better than my standard A2 which I had been using in DCM/ CMP rifle matches.

Magpul have better sling mounts and the PRS have great adjustments for precision shooting, my friends had no problems and they like it.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
The current fixed MOE works well. I replaced an A2 with one, and don’t have any complaints at all.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
The PRS is an excellent stock. So much so that my son appropriated it for his rifle and left me with his VLTOR EMOD, with is OK, but not in the same league. Since this particular rifle has been relegated to just multi-gun, match-use, I haven't cared enough to replace it. However, if I was ever inclined to go with another AR for precision work, it would be with the PRS. The Magpul adjustable stuff is OK too, but the PRS is solid and versatile.

I also have a rifle with an A2, with chunk of lead inside for weight, that I use on occasion, but the PRS has many more pluses in its favor.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Magpul adjustable PRS II on my LR-308. Don't like it. Heavy. Can't get it 'adjusted' to be comfortable. :(

My M4-gery has a CTR.

I kept my full-size AR-15A2 with issue stocks for the occasional service rifle match. Doubt I'll be attending any more , but if I do , it's an EZ change.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
A-1 (A-ONE) length is perfect.

It's almost a little shorter then the A2 stock, and perfect length (for me).
A1 = 9-7/8" long
A2 = 10-1/2"

The rifle is a Ruger AR-556. I did not modify the gas system.
Ruger uses a mid length gas system, but the Fixed stocks need a full length tube.
The solution was 3 inches of broom handle with a quarter on the spring end.
Later I found a cheap polymer spacer for it.

Eddie Likes!

·
Registered
390 Posts
With DPMS AR-15 kits going for $399 at CDNN, why not build another AR with the Magpul butstock. That way, you have both an AR-15 with the A-2 stock and the other with the Magpul.
For me, the A-2 stock even with the extension piece no longer sold is a wee bit too short.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Naw , 2 is fine. Even though I do have a few NOS Rock River and Stag stripped lowers squirreled away. Truth is I'm not really a fan of the AR anyway. My tastes are more wood and steel.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Naw , 2 is fine. Even though I do have a few NOS Rock River and Stag stripped lowers squirreled away. Truth is I'm not really a fan of the AR anyway. My tastes are more wood and steel.
Boyds makes wood and laminate stock sets for ARs, if you just absolutely hate plastic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts