1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen:

I was thinking about purchasing a simple mil-spec 1911 to add to the stable. When I visited my dealer last night, I discovered that he had a decent Colt 1991A1 in the display case. The tag was marked "as new". When I questioned as to this reference, I was told that the original owner had brought it in for a trade and had indicated that he had never used it. The clerk I was talking to indicated that the gun appeared to have been fired, but I did not notice any markings on the barrel that would indicate extensive use. In short, it appeared to have maybe a mag or two through it.

My question centers around the fact that it was an "old" rollmarked 1991. While I have read much on the NRM, I was wondering if there is anything to look out for, i.e. faulty parts, in the ORM version. The slide to frame fit is very, very loose, but I don't doubt that was intentional. Otherwise, the gun looked and felt fine. The asking price was $475.

A recent post asked for opinions comparing a NRM 1991A1 and a Springfield Mil-Spec. Since the dealer has one of these as well, I guess my question is really what is better, the ORM 1991 or the Springer? Any advice is, as always, appreciated.

·
Registered
170 Posts
ORM, no questions asked! I had a springfield loaded, which i thought i was buying an American made 1911. When i found out that it was made by Brazil, i sold it and bought a Kimber which i have 2. The ORM are really nice, and if i see one for a price like that i would get it!

·
Registered
861 Posts
tvolk01, I've been very satisfied with my old big ugly roll mark matte finish 1991A1 5" model. It is reliable with various and sundry magazines and as accurate as I am. It feeds a variety of ammo with no problems.

I'm not really up to date on prices, but what he's asking doesn't seem all that bad to me.

·
Registered
470 Posts
SamColtFan Go with the Colt ORM. Offer him $450 and see what he says.
I ran into a similar deal here in SACTO. I found a used ORM in pretty good condition with the brown box; paperwork and mags. It was listed in the case for $500 and I got it for $450. Not a big deal but I think any Colt 1911 in as good as shape as the one I bought is well worth $500 or more. RB :D

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
roboshred said:
I ran into a similar deal here in SACTO. I found a used ORM in pretty good condition with the brown box; paperwork and mags. It was listed in the case for $500 and I got it for $450. Not a big deal but I think any Colt 1911 in as good as shape as the one I bought is well worth $500 or more. RB :D
Yep, anytime you can find a nice looking, unaltered Colt 1911 for less than $500 you're doing good in my book.

Regards,
Sam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts