1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a custom 1911 45 cal.

My class would be open with traget sights and ported.

Due you Guys just buy the parts and make the gun yourself?

Or can I buy a custom 45 some where?

Thanks

·
Registered
490 Posts
It depends on what you mean by "Custom". If you want a work of art built to your personal specifications, and assembled and tuned by hand, prepare to fork over some big bucks.

If you want certain features like adjustable sights, porting, and other touches that aid shootability, a number of manufacturers offer guns that have the these features out-of-the-box at a fraction of the cost of adding them to an existing gun. Check out both Kimber and Springfield.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you are looking for a full-size 1911 with a steel frame, I would advise you to reconsider the porting requirement. Very little difference, almost imperceptible, and you have the flash issue to deal with, and they are hard to clean. Not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
398 Posts
An Open .45 - I've never seen that - usually they're 38 Super, 9x21, etc..

If you go ported you're automatically Open right?

If it's not for Open, I agree with RANash.. the extra sound/flash would drive me nuts on a normal range - as well as everyone else :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Advice

boyeraz said:
I am looking at buying a custom 1911 45 cal.

My class would be open with traget sights and ported.

Due you Guys just buy the parts and make the gun yourself?

Or can I buy a custom 45 some where?

Thanks
Try Dawson Precision and STI. My personal gun will be an STI trubor competator. Try a compensator before you have the barrel and slide ported resulting a decrease in velocity.This will screw up the slide and ruin the resale value of the gun.Glock offers several factory ported gunsbut bear in mind you will be going up against scopes and some tricked out 1911s.You might want to go to 38 super comp due to the guns capicity and felt recoil of the gun. 45s lack on long range targets very few shoot the 45 in open competition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts