1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what labeling (if any) is required on the outside of packages when ammo is shipped?

·
Registered
271 Posts
The ammo that I order from internet sources arrives either by UPS or FedEx. The boxes are stamped with a label that says:

Small Arms Ammunition
ORM-D

If I order some Winchester White Box ammo in a full carton amount, say 10 boxes of .45, most suppliers will just send it in the original carton and just add the stamp. FedEx adds a label that requires an adult signature. UPS just drops it on the front porch and walks off :mad: For that reason, I either ask for FedEx or find vendors that don't ship ammo via UPS.

According to the USPS web site, they will not allow mailing of ammo or any components of ammo.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've had the boxes marked and unmarked when they arrived, always by UPS.

But I've never tried to ship out, to a match like some people do.

I know for the match in AZ last month, the match gave instructions on how to ship.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I just received a large order of ammo.

It came by UPS - I've NEVER received ammo by USPS - and NO signature was required.

The boxes were labeled "ORM-D."

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
I think ORM-D is just something that indicates a chemical/flammable/explosive element to the item being shipped. I have received chemical and paint samples with the same label. I have never received ammo USPS and I have never had a company actually get a signature.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Just got some ammo yesterday from Cheaperthandirt.com, shipped via FedEx. Has the ORM-D label but neither there nor anywhere else is it labelled as ammo.

I was surprised that cheaperthandirt.com only requires clicking the "I Agree" button while Clearviewinvest.com requires a photocopy of DL on file as proof of age.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've shipped ammo via UPS and they required that I mark the Box as GES said, ORM-D Small arms cartridges.

Fed Ex woiuld not ship it for me, but it was shortly after Sep 11 and I don't know if it was their policy or paranoia. UPS has never given me any trouble.

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
SOME EXPERIENCE

UPS requires an "ORM-D" label; the US Postal Service will not ship ammunition (nor primers or powder, but bullets and cases are A-OK); Fed-Ex makes the hoops very small.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Scooter .45 said:
I was surprised that cheaperthandirt.com only requires clicking the "I Agree" button while Clearviewinvest.com requires a photocopy of DL on file as proof of age.
Some states like Mass. are ordering ammo and then going after the company for not conforming to some state law where the ammo is being shipped. I just bought ammo from Proload and they also require the faxed ID. The owner John said someone in the Illinois state government tried to order some stuff but he caught it because it was a strange credit card number. These guys are just being careful, and if they don't require it yet then they probably won't ship certain things to certain states or they haven't been "stung" yet.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
GES said:
FedEx adds a label that requires an adult signature. UPS just drops it on the front porch and walks off :mad: For that reason, I either ask for FedEx or find vendors that don't ship ammo via UPS.
I love it! :biglaugh: Some folks hate the idea of having to pay whatever extra is required by the shipper for the adult signature route and for that reason DO NOT use vendors who require adult signature in shipping ammo. Then they get mad when the ammo isn't shipped with an adult signature required.

Others blame UPS for leaving ammo at the door, most notably because they fail to understand how the ammo is being shipped. It is NOT UPS who is screwing up (usually), but the purchaser. If the vendor does not ship with adult signature required, you need only request it and expect to pay the additional fee. UPS is simply following shipping instructions when they leave packages at the door. I have experienced drivers of both companies NOT getting signature when they were supposed to. That is a driver issue and not a company issue.

So, it is not so much a UPS vs. FedEx issue as it is a purchaser and/or vendor issue. Don't expect a service not offered in the selling price of the item purchased without paying extra for it. You may need to read the vendor's shipping FAQ to determine whether or not you need to requed adult signature.

As for UPS not shipping ammo, I believe their specific guidelines state that they won't ship it from a person or company not properly licensed. So, they will ship, but for the vast majority of the population, this aspect does not apply.

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
FREAKING OUT AT THE COUNTER

UPS will ship ammo marked "ORM-D"; they don't ask about who........

·
Registered
271 Posts
Double Naught Spy said:
I love it! :biglaugh: Some folks hate the idea of having to pay whatever extra is required by the shipper for the adult signature route and for that reason DO NOT use vendors who require adult signature in shipping ammo. Then they get mad when the ammo isn't shipped with an adult signature required.

Others blame UPS for leaving ammo at the door, most notably because they fail to understand how the ammo is being shipped. It is NOT UPS who is screwing up (usually), but the purchaser. If the vendor does not ship with adult signature required, you need only request it and expect to pay the additional fee. UPS is simply following shipping instructions when they leave packages at the door. I have experienced drivers of both companies NOT getting signature when they were supposed to. That is a driver issue and not a company issue.

So, it is not so much a UPS vs. FedEx issue as it is a purchaser and/or vendor issue. Don't expect a service not offered in the selling price of the item purchased without paying extra for it. You may need to read the vendor's shipping FAQ to determine whether or not you need to requed adult signature.

As for UPS not shipping ammo, I believe their specific guidelines state that they won't ship it from a person or company not properly licensed. So, they will ship, but for the vast majority of the population, this aspect does not apply.
My concern was based on the fact that UPS normally does not require signatures when dropping off orders at residential addresses. But yet, any delivery to a business does require a signature. :confused: The internet company I sometimes order ammo through does not use UPS and they told me that they stopped shipping UPS because of their residential delivery policies. A "signature required" delivery via FedEx from this company is a standard policy and they won't ship ammo any other way. And that's fine with me as I'm now home most of the time. It may be that there it costs more for shipping, but if I don't have to worry about having a box sit on my doorstep in full view of the street, I'll glady pay it.

A couple years ago, I ordered a set of high-performance tires online that cost me over $1500. The company told me they used UPS so I asked for a signature required delivery and I was told that they did not offer that as UPS didn't want to do the extra effort at residential addresses. The tires showed up one day when I was at work. Again, a stack of expensive fancy tires on a front porch clearly visible from the street with nobody home is an invitation to thieves.

I guess that UPS makes more money by having their trucks come back empty after a day of deliveries and the crews don't have to unload the non-delivered cargo from the trucks. Maybe I'm just ranting about UPS, but I just sort of feel that certain items that get delivered should have some level of security as part of the delivery process.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Actually I like the fact that they will drop stuff off on my porch, the nearest UPS location is pretty far and out of the way for me. I leave for work before they open and get back well after they close. IF they didn't leave stuff on my porch I'd never get it.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Once again, it is NOT a UPS issue. FedEx may only ship ammo with a signature required, but that is not a legal requirement. It is a requirement of the seller to know the buyer is of legal age, not the shipper. This is much the same as Playboy being delivered to an address. The post office is not required to get an adult signature to deliver adult literature. It is up to the seller for proof. The same problem happened with beer and wine sells over the internet. It is not the shipper who is legally required, but the seller.

You can have ammo shipped with signature required, or not through UPS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts