1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I checked the rules prospective buyers were supposed to be part of some sort of competitive shooting organization. Is this still in effect? Seem to me ANY US citizen that wants one should be able to throw his hat in the ring. My Aunt Edna wouldn't know which end of the gun to hold, but it seems her tax dollars went into buying guns for the DOD. Why shouldn't she get one? We all paid in at one pont. Am I right?

·
Registered
12,317 Posts
Yes, those requirements remain in place. It’s my understanding that the CMP only sells firearms with congressional approval. As such, there are requirements that they must follow. I’m sure the CMP would love nothing more than to be able to offer a more simplified process, it would save them tons of man hours. But for the most part, they’re just adhering to the mandates of their congressional agreement.

Some of these requirements do have a little flexibility.

Membership in a CMP affiliated organization -or-
  • Congressionally chartered veterans’ organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc.
  • U.S. Military services (active or reserves)
  • National Guard, to include retirees
  • Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.
  • The Garand Collector’s Association is a CMP -Affiliated Club.

Proof of marksmanship or other firearms related activity, any of which could include:
  • Current or past military service.
  • Current or past law enforcement service.
  • CMP or NRA Classification card.
  • Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
  • Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
  • Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
  • Concealed Carry License.
  • Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. – FFL or C&R license.
  • Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
  • Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity.

So in summary, your Aunt Edna has to comply with same purchase requirements as your battle-worn Grandpa Chesta Medals.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Join the GCA. The quarterly magazine is worth the membership fee.
That’s a fact. The Garand Collectors Association Journal is professionally done and $25/year for a GCA membership makes you eligible to order M1s or M1911s from the CMP.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The gun club I belong to can buy from them. Not sure think we have to pay a membership fee.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts