1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for those buying online . How do the sellers verify that you're 21 when buying handgun caliber ammo ? Just curious .

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some places require that you send in a photocopy of your DL. That said, I didn't know you had to be 21 to buy handgun ammo. I thought it was 21 to purchase a handgun. There are a variety of long guns that use handgun cartridges. I remember buying handgun ammo well before I was 21 for both long guns and a handgun that was gifted to me when I was about 18.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Yes, those I`ve dealt with require a faxed photo copy of photo ID to verify age. And I`m quite certain that yes, you must be age 21 to buy handgun ammo. At least where I buy mine locally there is a sign concerning this, and the sellers ask to see age verification ID. Well, not me anyway....I`m way too old to look like 21 anymore.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
I required a copy of a verifiable photo ID; drivers license or military/LE ID.

·
Administrator
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys . I kinda figured the photo ID was it .

Some places require that you send in a photocopy of your DL. That said, I didn't know you had to be 21 to buy handgun ammo. I thought it was 21 to purchase a handgun. There are a variety of long guns that use handgun cartridges. I remember buying handgun ammo well before I was 21 for both long guns and a handgun that was gifted to me when I was about 18.
From 1968 until (can't recall the year) 1980's , we (gun shops) were required by the 1968 GCA to keep a ledger of ammunition sales . Name , age , ammo description . The ammo that fit both handgun & long gun was sort of a gray area . We just asked the customer what kind of gun he was buying it for . If he was 19 and buying 357 mag ammo and said it was for his Marlin 1894 lever , we sold it . By the 1980's the feds finally acknowledged that the ledgers hadn't contributed to any prosecutions so they removed that stipulation . We still have to ask to see ID and what kind of gun if they're under 21 .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts