1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never ordered powder online but am considering doing so. Do all suppliers require a signature at delivery for powder? If so that's kind of my question. Timing the delivery so that we are here for the signature. Could be difficult.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes they require an adult signature for powder and primers. They also charge an addition haz mat fee between 25 and 30 dollars plus shipping

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of what I thought. May have to work out a deal with my UPS guy on the signature thing. Buying loaded factory ammo also? A signature required?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
As BennyS posted, yes. Depending on the courier, if you can't be there, they can hold your shipment at their location, where you can go and pick it up. I know you can do that for FedEx and UPS. I don't know about other couriers.

As for ammo, my experience has been hit and miss. I've ordered ammo that didn't appear to require a signature. Later, the same company required a signature, but sometimes the delivery guy left it and sometimes not.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought 4 pounds of Bullseye at a gun store yesterday. 4 hour round trip. And I payed dearly for it. Even with the hazmat fee buying online is a much cheaper way for me to go.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Most likely, they'll ship via FedEx or UPS. You can contact the vendor via email (to save money) or by phone and find out. They should be able to tell you whether you can pick up your order at the courier's location. Usually, FedEx and UPS will let you request that option up front, if that's easier for you (maybe it's not far from your work commute on the way home or someplace you need to go on an errand). If the courier's location is better for you than a 4-hour round trip, you're GTG.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Glad to help. Remember, if you order a good supply of powder and primer, you won't have to make that trip to the courier's location very often. Plus, you'll save on the hazmat fee, which is typically charged just once per order, unless you order a pallet of powder/primers.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I have never ordered powder online but am considering doing so. Do all suppliers require a signature at delivery for powder? If so that's kind of my question. Timing the delivery so that we are here for the signature. Could be difficult.
If its about being at work when the delivery arrives?
Have it delivered to where you work, they only need an adult signature.

If that dog don't hunt how about one of your neighbors, is one of your neighbor’s home most of the time?
Usually somebodies retired and hangin around
If so, have it delivered there.

Your the paying customer, have it delivered where ever it works for you

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have never had to sign for my powder and primer deliveries. They are sitting there at the front door when I get home from work.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I kind of thought this a stupid question at first. But the answers so good seems not so now. If they signed for a delivered elephant at work they wouldn't be able to find the elephant. The neighbor idea sounds very good. Didn't think of that. I am glad I asked here.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I have never had to sign for my powder and primer deliveries. They are sitting there at the front door when I get home from work.
It's a variable. FedEx policy requires a signature, but I've had times when the driver left it. I don't know what UPS policy is, but sometimes the driver has left it and sometimes the driver has required a signature. I can't remember whether that was a policy thing or a vendor thing. Either way, I've had mixed results.

However, with both couriers, the driver can decide not to leave it if the area looks unsafe and the package might be stolen.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I cruise multiple sites also. This for me is the most professional and accurate for reloading and shooting 1911. I get a lot of PM's from members here with good advice. I have different interests other than guns and belong to some other forums. The 1911 Forum is just a bunch of good folks. I enjoy it much more than all other forums.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Apparently a lot of people don't know this...

If you miss the delivery the driver will leave one of those tags on your door. There's a spot on the back where you can sign it and leave it attached to your door. Next time he attempts to make delivery and you're not there, he will leave the package and take the signed tag.

I do this all the time.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Apparently a lot of people don't know this...

If you miss the delivery the driver will leave one of those tags on your door. There's a spot on the back where you can sign it and leave it attached to your door. Next time he attempts to make delivery and you're not there, he will leave the package and take the signed tag.

I do this all the time.
This UPS?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yup work is a great place to have it sent unless you work someplace like a school.

The neighbor is also a great idea.

Like others have said, make sure you order enough to offset the hazmat fee. Powder valley is great because they will ship powder and primers together while places like midway will not, at least the last time I looked into midway they would not. The key is to be patient and diligent. It might take a few orders but you will soon find every thing you need.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts