1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I be looking for when I decide to buy a BHP?
Any particular Year, Model, and Manufacture to look for? What are some of the more desirable features?
with thanks

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,011 Posts
I bought a used Browning Mk. III last year, and I think it as good as any. Although I'm a big fan of forged, as opposed to cast guns, the cast HP frame is supposed to be better than the older forged ones. The cast frames have a serrated effect around the magwell opening, so they are easy to recognize. The matte black finish has proven to be durable and easy to maintain, and while I don't really care for the white-dot sights, the ambi safety is a necessity. "Belgian Brownings", made by FN are the most desireable collector/shooters, but the "Made in Belgium, assembled in Portugal" guns are great shooters, and are less expensive. The Hungarian clones are a great value, but I prefer the orginal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
See if you can find a BHP Mark III. They have the best combination of features. All they need is a new set of grips, and removal of mag safety and its ready to go. Finish is relatively durable also.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a BHP "Standard" with the blue finish, ambi-safeties and dovetailed sights. Nice features to have versus the older guns, which had tiny sights and a tiny single-sided safety. Get the forged frame with the ripples on the mag well. I slapped a pair of black Navidrex grips on mine. It's at my gunsmith now being re-crowned, mag. safety removed, and a stronger (pre-Mk III) trigger return spring installed. Someday I'm going to have a nightsight installed up front (maybe an Ashley Express?) and call it a day. Great gun.

B

·
0 Posts
Mark III is nice. Try to get 1995 or later manufacture date. This almost ensures strong cast frame and slide with improved heat treatment.

BHP is very nice but I don't like how the white inserts go all the way to top of sights.

Then of course I only like custom BHP's (my pistol of choice)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts