1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any Charles Daly owners that reload?
I was just curious if any of you had trouble with LSWC rounds or not. And what your best
target load is.
I load 5.3 gr. Win, 231 w/200 gr. LSWC.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sniper,

I use lead semi wad cutters in my Daly. However, these are reloads that I have done at my favorite range since I don't have a reloader myself. I haven't had any problems with them so far. In fact they seem to feed better in My EFS than lead round nose reloads. They feed so well it makes me wonder if what I heard about SWC rounds being problematic are true or not. Next time I'm at the range I'll be sure to ask for the R.O's load recipe for you. Sorry I couldn't be of more help right now. BTW, isn't it great the Daly forum's back from the "Other 1911s" exile? Thanks moderators!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sniper_44,
Out of the 10K+ rounds through my Daly, only about 500 have been factory ammo. All of my reloads use the H&G #68 200gr LSWC. Here are my base loads.

5.7gr Winchester 231
Winchester LP primer

5.0gr Alliant Bullseye
Winchester LP primer

I am currently working up a load with Hodgdon Titegroup using 4.8 & 5.0 grains. The two above loads make major for USPSA & IDPA out of my Daly.

good shootin', gunny

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I use 3.9gr of Hodgdon clays on a 230gr copper plated bullet. This is my IPSC load, it makes major all the time with very mild recoil and fairly accurate. For a 200gr SWC I use 4.2gr a little bit snapier than the former, but more accurate. Safe shooting!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
13,500 of the 14,000 rounds that have been through my EFS have been 200 SWC reloads.

I use 5.5 grains W231 with an OAL of 1.200 (this varys according to the type SWC you're using).

My Ideal mould drops a bullet that looks just like the Lee tumble lube SWC in profile, with of course normal lube grooves. This is a slightly shorter SWC than some.

I had one gun that would only feed this bullet if seated to 1.250, which is very long for this style. My EFS occasionally wouldn't lock up completely due to the length (1 out of 1000), but ate them up pretty well so I could recover the brass.

Mine will feed anything at all and I normally use either hydra-shoks or some of my stock of black talon ammo when I use it as a "car gun".

5.3 grains of W231 only gives me a power factor of 166 in most of my 1911s on a fairly warm day. If used in competition you might want to increase that load to 5.5 grains which is pretty much standard for this bullet.

[This message has been edited by Walking Point (edited 10-07-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts