1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my second 1911, a Springer Loaded, I would like get reed of the Novak sights and install a C-More red dot sight. C-More apparently offers 2 types, one with a rail (Weaver style) and one fixed on the frame with a braket. I think that the one that install on the frame is the way to go, as the recoil won't affect the settings over time. How does one adjust the one that screws on the frame? Can you still adjust it back and forth or is it really going to be where you mount it on the frame with the screws. How far from the end of the frame should I drill and tap the screws to set the brakets? Do you guys have some pics of a standard 1911 with the C-More red dot sight installed?
Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you could certainly move it back and forth if you installed it on the frame, you'd just have to drill more holes.
How far from the end of the frame? Really up to you, but I'd mount it as far back as possible, put the back of the mount right up to the front of the slide release. That's where mine is. Check out pictures of 1911 race guns, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you let me know why you need to put it as far back (closer to the shooter eyes right?) as you can? What is the principle to do so? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
take a look at how thin your dust cover is, once you drill and tap it, the screws will have only a thread or 2 securing the scope to the frame. by mounting it closer to the slide stop, it will allow 1 screw into the thicker part of the frame. also drilling and tapping a frame for a scope mount is not job I'd tackle without a jig.
you might also take a look at scopes that replaces your current rear sight, such as the J-point from jp enterprises and the doctor.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have used the standard C-More that mounts directly to the frame for many years and it works very well. Occassionally, I have had a round get caught between the ejection port and the right side of the C-More mount. If I did it again, I'd use a mount that cantilevered from the left side and left the right side open. The C-More is available in a version that screws directly to such a mount. This is a little lower the the Rail-way or Weaver type mount. The JP or Optima sights haven't held up well when mounted on the slide and using major loads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts