1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a CSL750 about 2 years ago and had a gunsmith mount it on my Caspian frame. The optics are mounted as per the directions, i.e. with the rear of the sight flush with the rear of the slide. Ever since this sight was mounted, I have continual problems with stovepiping...about one round in 15 will get jammed in the ejector port, with the new round already in the chamber. Looking closely at the optics' mount near the ejector port, there is some evidence of nicking of the plastic by the ejected cases, but not much.
The gun is a Jim Clark gun, with flared ejector, comp, carbon fiber trigger, tightened frame, etc etc. Before the addition of the C-More optics, it functioned flawlessly. Now I hate to even shoot it, since I spend half my time trying to clear the jammed rounds. I have tried changing the springs, (everything from a 14lb to a 20lb Wolff spring) changing the strength of my grip, different ammo, even buying dummy rounds to see if I can duplicate the problem (which I can't since they eject with the 'bullet' still attached to the case) so far nothing has worked. My guess is that there needs to be some tweaking done to either the extractor or the ejector or both, but I need to have some ideas from you folks, so I can point my gunsmith in the right direction.
So...any ideas for this little problem?
Any suggestions would be kindly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
ejector and extractor..make sure there is enough tension on the extractor to hold the case..

then go to the range with a big file..
I have had great luck using the EGW long ejector..I'd start with it with the face vertical with the top 1/3 or less angled back at 30 degrees or so.

pull your scope off..and start shooting..watch the arc that the brass ejects..adjust the face of the ejector with the file up and down until the arc is out the side..

the brass is either coming out too high now and hitting the scope and jamming..hitting the scope then the ejection port and jamming, or hitting the ejection port and bouncing up and hitting the scope then jamming..

but by changing the contact point on the ejector face you will see how you can change the path that the brass leaves the gun..

good luck

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If you mentioned the caliber, I must have missed it. I assume it's a .45 ACP, which is the toughest cartridge to get to eject reliably in a C-More installation. With you mentioning that the brass is hitting the scope, I would bet that the brass is probably bouncing off the lower edge of the ejection port first. You should be able to see evidence of it.
To make a C-More (or similar mounting system) run, the gun has to be tuned to make the brass go straight out the side (towards 3:00) rather than up toward 12:00 to 2:00. It's got to get out of the gun without hitting anything else.
I would plan on lowering the ejection port to .400 or less (as low as .375") to open a pathway for the brass to get out. Don't forget the bevel on the inside of the wall.
Shape the ejector's nose to the same angle that the back wall of the mag well has. Tune the extractor claw to keep a firm grip on the case rim. Tension doesn't have to be high, but the claw shape has to be "positive".
That should get you pointed in the right direction. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are great!

First thanks for the VERY helpful replies. As you can see, I'm newbie on this board (though I've been shootin' about 15 years..). I had a flash of insight yesterday and thought, hell the *must* be a 1911 board out there that can help me..and just 24 hours later I have some useful suggestions. (I emailed C-More tech support as well...we'll see what they come up with..).

To address a couple of questions, and key info I left out of my posting....

Yes it's a .45 Caspian Arms Frame..my guess is that it began life as a pin gun out of Jim Clarks' shop.
Yes it has an old-school single port comp (so I'll try a lighter spring)

I'll take it back to the range and do some of the experimentation you folk suggest (I'm a scientist, so running experiments is something I can handle!) This gun came out of a pawn shop in Texas of all things ($500 in 1995)..has a Wilson barrel, a nice satin nickle finish, I added a big ol' mag well - so I'll be glad to get it back to proper working order.

I'd been away from shooting for a while and after I got the optics on it, I went to a practical shooting match and discovered everyone shoots hi-cap.40 now...oh well!
I'll stick with .45 if I have to do any *really* practical shooting!

Thanks again and I welcome any more helpful hints.
Cheers,
John

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have two guns setup in this fashion and they both needed extended ejectors and tuned extractors to work flawlessly. On both guns I can see where hot brass has come in contact with the C-more and has began to melt them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts