1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you thinking of customizing your BHP check out www.fnhipower.com for threads on 'tim's' gun. There are some disturbing reports of at least two cases of poor sear work down by C&S. In one case the hammer followed the slide and in the other case the pistol (mark II) went full auto!!!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I had mine built by Kurt Wickmann (KWGW.COM) and could not be happier with the way it shoots.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have read the threads on the site. It seems to me like Bill tried to make good on his work.

I must tell you I have a BHP that C&S has modified and I am more than satisfied with the quality of the work. In fact, I sent it back to have some additional work done.

Unlike most, I did not go for any of the cosmetic stuff, just straight internal modifications. His work has be outstanding. He produced a tack driving weapon with no reliability problems. I shot mostly USPSA and IDPA stuff. NO FAILURES, NO MALFUNCTIONS.

I have seen the work of other smiths who think they can do BHPs just because they know 1911s. This is a big difference. In my limited experience there are only three or four smiths in country who can do BHP work. Bill is one of them.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that some of the forum members at www.hipower.com stated that C&S has a few smiths and that Bill isn't doing all the guns himself. I remember reading articles by Massad Ayoob and Duane Thomas extolling the virtues of C&S's BHP work. That's why I picked it for my first custom BHP, and I was not completely satisfied. (I was lucky my gun has NO sear problems and the triggerpull is very nice indeed)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
C&S did a nice job on my hi-power about 5 years back. The only problem was my front sight popped off (and I wasn't crazy about the brown thumb saftey). Anyway, I didn't want to send it back and figured I'd just locktight it on. The smith who did it locally put it on wrong and it shot 2 inches to the left. I called Bill at C&S and even after all these years, he said to send it back and he'd fix it, no charge. Sometimes, with the speed and scope in which info reaches people over the internet, we can be hearing someone is "bad" based on a few incidents. I'm sure lots of craftsmen screw up now and then but before the internet, how would we know what experience people had? If they have a good rep and are willing to work with you, don't write them off so quickly.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Yes, bad juju can get blown out of proportion at the speed of light nowadays. C&S does a huge volume of work, and even the best will make an occasional mistake. Assuming of course that nobody "diddled" with it after C&S got done with it. Bottom line, the important thing is that they are reputable and will stand behind it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts