1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone. I recently bought a C96 Mauser Red 9 with the matching stock. The gun is all matching and is in good condition from what I can tell, but I have some concerns about the shoulder stock. The stock itself is in good condition, and it snaps into the slot nicely, but it has a lot of give from left to right. The gunsmith that did the transfer said that it's normal for these pistols, but I was hoping to get more info on the issue. I was also wondering if its a problem that can be fixed, thanks. Pictures attached

Attachments

·
Administrator
78,171 Posts
Congratulations, a 9mm C.96 Mauser is definitely on my "some day when I can afford it" list. I can't answer your question on the stock, but be aware that the market is flooded with cheap reproduction stocks so the first thing you need to do is verify that it's legit. Maybe you can compare it to the ones in these videos:

Reactions: Shorikid and Boge

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Well that sucks..does anyone know if there's anyway to fix it? And yeah Its the original stock with matching serial number.
You will need to find a Gunsmith who is an artisan to want to fix the side to side slop. Metal is malleable and can be formed by peening to take up slop. Wood can be filled in or steamed to tighten up any gaps. But, to a fussy collector, unless the Gunsmith can hide the work, it will be considered unacceptable, a catch 22 situation. Why I don't collect or work on Safe Queens. Good luck.
See if you can work out a deal with this guy, he is very educational.

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
I just gotta say that I would LIKE to have this problem. Because that would mean that I'd at least HAVE a C96!! Even with a wobbly stock that's an awesome pistol. I stopped collecting extra guns a few years ago but a Broomhandle could definitely make me reconsider that.

Hope you can solve your very enviable "First World Problem" ! (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just gotta say that I would LIKE to have this problem. Because that would mean that I'd at least HAVE a C96!! Even with a wobbly stock that's an awesome pistol. I stopped collecting extra guns a few years ago but a Broomhandle could definitely make me reconsider that.

Hope you can solve your very enviable "First World Problem" ! (y)
yeahh I work really hard for my money and I don't have a lot to spend on things like this. This was like a once in a lifetime sort of purchase because I love these guns and I've wanted one for a long time. This was A LOT of money for me and I'm really passionate about it and want it to work properly..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will need to find a Gunsmith who is an artisan to want to fix the side to side slop. Metal is malleable and can be formed by peening to take up slop. Wood can be filled in or steamed to tighten up any gaps. But, to a fussy collector, unless the Gunsmith can hide the work, it will be considered unacceptable, a catch 22 situation. Why I don't collect or work on Safe Queens. Good luck.
See if you can work out a deal with this guy, he is very educational.
That's kind of what i was worried about. I feel like it would be really hard to find the right person to fix it without making it look like it was worked on. But yeah ill look into maybe getting a hold of this guy, he seems really talented.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts