1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have decided to give my son one of my current pistols. He loves my green GI model. I figure it's a solid upgrade platform if he wants to do that by adding an extended beavertail and better sights.

Question is, where can I find if this model is CA legal? He is on an Army base and getting it on base is easy. Finding an FFL is not hard either.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
At the time SA imported these from Brazil ( built by Imbel, a quality manufacturer ) I think SA made sure the high volume 1911s were Ca. Compliant. A phone call to SA would verify.
Joe

·
Registered
412 Posts
Easy search. Go to Gallery of Guns with your zip code. Enter the model and see if it is restricted for that zip code.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Springer makes a GI Stainless Mil-Spec 1911 45. SKU SPR-PB9151LCA , That I know. Maybe more different models. Good choice for a gift. Good Luck.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Welcome to crazy rules, laws and the ROSTER!

This state mandates that you can only buy new guns listed exactly as they are on the roster…must be exact…color…everything. Used might be easier to buy…but finding that will be hard…and very costly. You can buy something ON roster and send it to SA and have work done (within the dumb**** rules) and get one that way to. Find an FFL and talk to them….or call SA and talk to someone familiar with the rules about CA legal guns…they have a couple folks that can help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Springfield no longer offers the GI model
It was replaced by the mil-spec model. Both the stainless and parkerized versions are available in ca. Google the ca. dept of justice, handgun roster for a complete list of handguns available in ca. Odd note, almost all single action revolvers are exempt from the list.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Springfield no longer offers the GI model
It was replaced by the mil-spec model. Both the stainless and parkerized versions are available in ca. Google the ca. dept of justice, handgun roster for a complete list of handguns available in ca. Odd note, almost all single action revolvers are exempt from the list.
Also, micro stamping does not apply to revolvers. Hence Colt, Ruger, SW, etc., can still get their newly made revolvers on the CalDOJ list.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Unfortunately SA GI model is no longer on the CA roster. But if you live in California (CA resident), you can do transfer to your son. Existing pistols already in the State (seller need to be resident of the Golden State) are not subject to roster rule and can be sell freely.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately SA GI model is no longer on the CA roster. But if you live in California (CA resident), you can do transfer to your son. Existing pistols already in the State (seller need to be resident of the Golden State) are not subject to roster rule and can be sell freely.
I am in Texas. So it's not legal to ffl to him then? Damn.

·
Registered
407 Posts
OP…you mention that he is on an Army base…I believe that there are some exemptions within our stupid rules for military folks that live here, I am not familiar with them as I have no reason to be. I think, not positive, they have carve outs for the military folks because of service transfers and things like that. You may be able to transfer to him in your state and then he may be able to possess…

There is an awesome site here called CalGuns that has some VERY informed folks that will be glad to help…go on there and they have info about the laws…and just ask…many good folks will point you in the right direction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts